U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:02 PM

9,760 posts, read 11,222,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Yes, what there is in unique D.C. culture is basically black, but if you think that GoGo and mumbo sauce are somehow enough to make it some kind of unique cultural mecca you're sorely mistaken, every city in the country has things like that and then some. D.C.'s problem is that other than black culture it's incredibly generic and bland while the aforementioned big cities have an identity that extends beyond one ethnic/racial group.

And guess what, that black culture is what's suffering the most from gentrification. It's really great if the people who eat, breathe and sleep that culture are moving further into deep Maryland because D.C. needs more phony 'luxury' apartment complexes for transplant office workers.

I'm an immigrant and not black, so black D.C. culture isn't mine and won't be, but I'd rather see that culture and its people flourish than the 'culture' of bland yuppie careerists that is steadily replacing it.
So you’re one of the people we need to get out of DC since you’re not black and not from here right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 09:22 AM

430 posts, read 142,750 times
I don't live in D.C., I live in the state of Virginia, so I don't have to 'get out'. I am in D.C. quite often obviously, but I don't have any desire to displace its population or make it more like Arlington.

But don't worry, I have figured out over time that the area isn't really my cup of tea. I'll get the heck outta here as soon as practical considerations allow me to do so.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:10 AM

98 posts, read 56,542 times
I kinda agree with both of you guys' points but I think as more people of different races/ethnic groups, immigrants and different interests continue moving to DC and decide to plant roots in the city (which is already happening) then I do think DC will start to develop it's own culture which will begin to transcend past ethnicity. Even that is happening also slowly.

It will take a long time for it to happen though.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:55 AM

2,760 posts, read 1,354,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So you’re one of the people we need to get out of DC since you’re not black and not from here right?
Idk. I'm black and grew up here and I actually see Veritas point of view. The black culture in DC really has basically died wast of the Anacostia. It mainly consists of gentrified restaurants where evenings are spent with overpriced happy hours full of random people who aren't from here. It's actually "shocking" when people find out I'm a local since they're so rare apparently, but many people who are vacating DC nowadays are here for jobs and their from random states like Iowa or Wisconsin.

No joke, I even had a white girl from Idaho act "shocked" while talking to me because "you're a black guy and you don't really sound or talk like a thug "

Point is, I do see both your POV's, but I can relate to much of what Veritas is saying about this area.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,807 posts, read 3,283,100 times
D.C. has the highest intensity gentrification in the U.S. (as a capital city should be expected to have)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...=.a258da150e5b

Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 AM

2,760 posts, read 1,354,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
D.C. has the highest intensity gentrification in the U.S. (as a capital city should be expected to have)

Yeah, I agree with this article, largely. One one hand, it's nice that the slum parts of DC were redeveloped. But a shame the culture got lost with it for trendyness and dog parks. They have to make the city nice though instead of it being "Murder Capital of the World" like before, though.

Replacement of the black people in DC, I'm mixed about, even as a black guy myself. One one hand, I get it. On the other, these people didn't take the initiative to build up their own communities and they got bought out.

I think for me, I just wish they made all of the revamped neighborhoods unique. Dupont now feels the same as Adams Morgan and Adams Morgan now feels like U St. All the neighborhoods all just kinda feels...the same.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 PM

40 posts, read 18,694 times
I stopped by the restaurant today. It was pretty packed around 6pm with a 25 minute wait. That’s a pretty good sign of business. Like every other busboys ive been to, the majority of the patrons were Black.

Old Today, 08:03 AM

5,754 posts, read 6,697,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

No one is looking at the elephant in the room. You have to look at development not as a return on investment, but an investment in humanity. As long as money is the driver of development, poor people will be displaced.

No developer or city government will go into a distressed neighborhood and pour billions of dollars of development into it and expect to keep rents and services the same levels. That would be charity. And the last time I checked, developers aren't into charity. They need to make their shareholders happy.

So, displacement will continue unabated. Even if the city panders to its citizens saying it will protect them and their neighborhoods from developers.

Current property owners will continue to get offers from big developers. It's only a matter of time.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

8,677 posts, read 10,547,024 times
The black population of DC grew by 4.4% between 2010 and 2015. It grew in each year between 2010 and 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or