U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 PM

3,526 posts, read 3,127,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust18 View Post
I was looking for advice from locals. He is looking at places like Capital Hill North, Crystal City, Eastern Market. Sorry if I offended anyone and not sure why I got the snarky responses. He is looking into places, but he is also 19 and it is hard to know which areas are safe if you don't live there. I live in a college town and wish I could advise kids and parents of places they do not want their child living. By the way thanks for making me feel so welcome on these forums.
Crystal city is very boring but safe. Great metro access.

Eastern Market is safe. Great metro access.

Gonna champion Southwest Waterfront, Navy Yard, Anywhere in NW is pretty safe generally.

I’d say if you’re going to intern in DC, be in DC. Live in the city, get to know it, etc. there’s safe areas just as cheap as Crystal City in DC but with more sense of community and much better for someone who doesn’t have a car or just wants to be in the action.

My opinion will always be DC over MD/VA. A suburb is a suburb. All the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 05:23 PM

1,375 posts, read 3,426,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust18 View Post
I was looking for advice from locals. He is looking at places like Capital Hill North, Crystal City, Eastern Market. Sorry if I offended anyone and not sure why I got the snarky responses. He is looking into places, but he is also 19 and it is hard to know which areas are safe if you don't live there. I live in a college town and wish I could advise kids and parents of places they do not want their child living. By the way thanks for making me feel so welcome on these forums.
Don't put too much thought into some of the snarky comments from a few keyboard warriors on these threads- It takes the same amount of time they spend on their condescending responses to simply say 'can you please provide more information' but they choose the first option. We aren't all like this in the DC area- trust me.

All locations you mentioned are generally safe- Crystal City in Arlington is a bit on the sleepy side- that will certainly change with Amazon HQ2 coming in but it's still a bit off. I would generally encourage anyone interning in DC for the summer (I was one of them) to actually live in DC to get the full experience. Capitol Hill and Eastern Market both are great areas and offer a lot for interns/ people new to the area. Not sure if this was a thought but both American University and George Washington set aside housing for interns during the summer as well.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 1,158 times
He actually is looking at the dorms at GWU. They seem to be reasonable for the area. Smaller than the suburbs, but he would not have to spend 20-30 minutes on the metro. Thank you so much for the feedback. I feel so much better knowing there are safe areas as long as he is aware of his surroundings and uses common sense.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:26 PM

Dorms at GWU will be fine. Going that route makes it easier for first time interns in DC because they are actually designed for these types of temporary living situations. Navigating the rental scene can be somewhat of a tedious process for someone new to the area who will only be staying for 8 or 10 weeks - That's not to say he can't find something easy on that approach but might take a bit longer. In addition, sometimes what you see on the internet isn't really what you end up with. GWU is in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood so you are well connected being on the Orange/ Silver/ Blue Metro lines along with abundant cabs and Ubers. Very close to Georgetown, the Mall/ Monuments, etc and not much farther to some other cool DC neighborhoods.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 03-19-2019 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 01:04 PM

GWU does not cover the dates he will need. What is the Brooklyn neighborhood like? (Island Condos). He is also looking at Crystal City, but it is a bit further away from the office he will be working at in Rockville Maryland. It won't be everyday, but periodically. Most days he will be near GWU.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:55 PM

I assume you mean the BrookLAND neighborhood? It's a nice area- adjacent to Catholic University. I don't unfortunately know anything about the specific condo complex. The Brookland/ Catholic University stop is on the Red Line which is what he will need to take (many stops away) to Rockville. That is assuming the office in Rockville is close to a Metro station. Crystal City is fine too if commuting to GWU. Rockville isn't really convenient to either but as you said he isn't going up every day.

Old Today, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info! After researching all the intern housing (WIHN, WISH and Capstay) he decided on GWU because it is a 7 minute walk to his internship. They had the most reasonable price for something in DC. We are going to get a hotel room the first week that doesn't cover his internship. My husband and I will take the opportunity to do some sight seeing that week. Decided it would be worth it for him to not have to take a 25 minute metro ride everyday there and back. I'm looking forward to touring the museums and monuments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC