U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
 
8 posts, read 1,158 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

My son has an internship in DC this summer. There are lots of places advertised online, but it's overwhelming. Safety is a main concern. I was looking at local colleges, but they are not available until May 26 and he needs it beginning May 19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 PM
 
7,798 posts, read 9,422,042 times
Reputation: 13477
You haven't asked a question. If you are looking for real estate ads, this isn't the place. If you have a specific concern about a specific neighborhood, provide that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Town of Herndon/DC Metro
2,273 posts, read 5,523,978 times
Reputation: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust18 View Post
My son has an internship in DC this summer. There are lots of places advertised online, but it's overwhelming. Safety is a main concern. I was looking at local colleges, but they are not available until May 26 and he needs it beginning May 19.

Telephone HR at the intership's office and ask them how interns find housing.btw, he is an adult not a child so let him find housing. M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2019, 05:33 PM
 
2,367 posts, read 875,597 times
Reputation: 4545
since no question was asked: let him handle ALL of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 07:15 PM
 
8 posts, read 1,158 times
Reputation: 15
I was looking for advice from locals. He is looking at places like Capital Hill North, Crystal City, Eastern Market. Sorry if I offended anyone and not sure why I got the snarky responses. He is looking into places, but he is also 19 and it is hard to know which areas are safe if you don't live there. I live in a college town and wish I could advise kids and parents of places they do not want their child living. By the way thanks for making me feel so welcome on these forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 07:28 PM
 
7,798 posts, read 9,422,042 times
Reputation: 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust18 View Post
I was looking for advice from locals. He is looking at places like Capital Hill North, Crystal City, Eastern Market. Sorry if I offended anyone and not sure why I got the snarky responses. He is looking into places, but he is also 19 and it is hard to know which areas are safe if you don't live there. I live in a college town and wish I could advise kids and parents of places they do not want their child living. By the way thanks for making me feel so welcome on these forums.

You didn't offend anyone, you just hadn't asked a question. You are never likely to get good responses when you generally want to know about everything and everywhere. There are too may variables and differences; no one on here is about to write a book.


You have now identified three specific areas; hopefully you will get more responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 AM
 
8 posts, read 1,158 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You didn't offend anyone, you just hadn't asked a question. You are never likely to get good responses when you generally want to know about everything and everywhere. There are too may variables and differences; no one on here is about to write a book.


You have now identified three specific areas; hopefully you will get more responses.

Don't know why I deserved rude, judgmental responses. Already getting a taste of what DC people are like. I realize my post was not clear after reading it, but really? I participate any many message boards and have never been treated so rudely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 AM
 
8 posts, read 1,158 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Telephone HR at the intership's office and ask them how interns find housing.btw, he is an adult not a child so let him find housing. M
He is in touch with his recruiter and mentor. Just like to get opinions from as many sources as possible. I realize he is an adult. He is finding places, but 19 year olds who have never traveled out of their own community can get scammed so I will be helping him to make sure he is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 AM
 
8 posts, read 1,158 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
since no question was asked: let him handle ALL of it.
If you didn't want to offer advice why respond. Just enjoy being rude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 03:35 PM
 
212 posts, read 420,168 times
Reputation: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust18 View Post
If you didn't want to offer advice why respond. Just enjoy being rude?
Sorry and don't won't worry about the needlessly condescending and officious tone of the responses of the posters here. As rude as it can be it isn't personal. It's just how they are. There can be a particularly insufferable sense of self-importance among some of them and they take it out with overstated impatience with unclear and slightly confused newcomers because it's an easy target. Maybe they sometimes forget they're on a comment board, not at work. LOL Anyway, good luck to your son in finding housing. I'd check out areas close to metro stations near metro stations in Arlington, Capitol Hill, Silver Spring and Alexandria.

Sorry if this is your first experience with Washingtonians. We're not all like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top