Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the DC metro area for a few months now, and living without a car is great except for those once-in-awhile trips that you can't do on metro.

I just moved near the Courthouse metro station in Arlington, and I am on the verge of joining ZipCar.

Do any of you have experience with ZipCar in DC and NoVa?

if so, what are the pros and cons? I have heard that cars in the "hot" locations are booked up too far in advance, but this might just be a rumor. I'm hoping to join soon, so DC ZipCar members, let me know what you think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM

48 posts, read 184,355 times
Zipcar is the fo'shz! We've been members for a few years and have never had a problem getting a car. Can't speak to the Courthouse area, but with a bit of planning, it's the best thing. Just plan your trips with a bit of extra time to allow for traffic, construction, slow lines at stores, that kind of thing, and you're fine. I.e., if I'm going for a big grocery shopping trip, I allow two hours. Sure, I could probably do it one, but not knowing what might happen, and not wanting to impact the next renter's availability, I'll book it for two. Regardless, it's cheaper than owning a car!

Also, I don't know if they're doing it this year, but last year, through May I believe, Thrifty offered cars for 10 bucks a day. A friend who lives in Arlington just booked one in advance for every weekend and cancelled if she didn't need it.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the tips! That makes my decision much easier. I also found out that ZipCar has a pickup truck that can be rented in Rosslyn, which would make moving to my new apartment much easier.

I like the idea of not having to borrow a friend's car or worry about maintenance, insurance, etc. Does anyone else have ZipCar experience/suggestions for me before signing up?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,465 times
I actually just used one for the third time today, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. If you plan ahead, you can find one close to you, gas is on them (if you find a place that doesn't accept their gas card, they'll reimburse you---just fax them the receipt) and the cars are usually pretty nice (the one I rented two out of three times had a CD player and it drives very well). I love how tapping the membership card on the sensor on top of the car (like a SmartTrip card works on Metro) locks/unlocks the car!

I'd go for it if I were you! It's only $100 to sign up ($25 application fee, then a $75 annual fee each year), and cars rent at $9 an hour (on average).

There was an ad I saw on Metro for a discount promo they're doing for new members, but I cannot remember its code.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM

I saw that ad on the metro too - RetailMeNot has a list of all the ZipCar promo codes here: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/zipcar.com (broken link)

I just signed up and got the $50 discount on annual membership!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:33 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
I saw that ad on the metro too - RetailMeNot has a list of all the ZipCar promo codes here: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/zipcar.com (broken link)

I just signed up and got the $50 discount on annual membership!
I saw the code on the Metro today and made sure to remember it this time---it's Spring25. It's only good for new members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC