Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,763 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving to DC. I am single and young; I am looking for something safe, but not in the burbs! I would like to be relatively near the action of the city. I haven't been to DC since I was 18..I don't know a thing about the neighborhoods. Advice would be awesome! my budget is 700$ to 1400$ also i have cats..if that changes things Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 53,085 times
You have two fairly different choices given your budget, Northern Virginia or NW DC. Both are fairly safe, and both have plenty to do. There are more bars, clubs, and activities in DC so NW would be closer to the action but it is pricier and has a bit more crime. I would check out Dupont (expensive but gentrified), Adams Morgan, or Cleveland park. You should be able to find singles for around 1200 or if you have a roommate, get a double for less.

NOVA would be cheaper but not much and with more of a commute. Places to check out are Ballston, Alexandria, and Virginia Square. All are fairly short metro rides into the city but arent up to DC's standards activity wise. They are more reasonably priced though.

Other than that, I wouldn't venture too far east as it gets less safe, but that is changing with development. Bethesda, MD is also an option, but it is a 20 min train ride from downtown and just as pricey if not more. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:12 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,967 times
At that budget, if you're willing to live in a basement apartment or studio, Capitol Hill might be a good option.

It's tough to decide which hood to live in if you don't know where you'll be working.

If you work downtown, you'd like to live in the city near a metro or at least a bus line that goes where you need to be.

If you'll be working somewhere away from a metro and you have to drive, make sure to live in a place where parking won't be an issue. If you live in Adams-Morgan, Dupont and a few other places you may have to spend $200+ per month for a spot.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
I really loved Adams Morgan at 23, and was recently apartment hunting and found plenty in the neighborhood in that range.

On the weekends it is packed with a very vibrant and eclectic "come as you are" crowd - the college frat boys, North and South African immigrants, African Americans, yuppies, hippies... they all come together in the Morg.

That said - I always avoided it on the weekends and found the weeknight crowd to be far more interesting - mostly the city crowd rather than the college / suburban crowd. But, to each their own.

It's very urban. On a Saturday afternoon you'll feel like you're in South America on Columbia.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 6,558 times
Capitol Hill East is your best bet. There's nothing urban in VA. Washingtonians don't respect people who live in the plastic wasteland of the former Capitol of the Confederacy. Adams Morgan used to be cool, but now Eastern Market is better. H Street NE is happening. East of Adams Morgan is Columbia Hts. It is O.K. but a little forced, a little plastic and the HQs for MS13. It is way over rated. Just east of Columbia Hts is Shaw. It is for the dolts who were told NW was the only sector in which to live and pushed prices way beyond what is reasonable and needlessly expose themselves to blight and crime. Their houses are worth less than half of what they were at the peak of the bubble. Shaw is bad news. Affordable, urban/ cool and safe is anything West of the Anacostia River and East of Eastern Market on the blue or orange lines. Otherwise, Georgetown might be the trick if you can get lucky getting a $1500 closet. There's no subway in G'town and it can be a drag gettin' around.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:37 PM

209 posts, read 984,711 times
HQ for MS-13? Whatever.

Arlington and Alexandria are urban, no matter what dcheart says. High population density = urban.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:10 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
dcheart is what we call a "hipster".

I wouldn't take his opinion too seriously. It's a bit radical and dismisses very good neighborhoods simply because they aren't the flavor of the month for cool. Kind of silly.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:05 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,967 times
Wowza...capital of the confederacy? I thought that was Richmond.

In any case, the above posters are correct. There are a lot of neighborhoods in Arlington and Alexandria that are more dense, have a greater variety of restaurants, and have a more urbanized vibe than many hoods in DC.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 23,393 times
Alexandria is a good place to be at, not so expensive, plenty of things to do, and you can easily get to downtown DC on the metro...

Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 15,652 times
U -Street Corridor is very up and coming and so is Logan Circle...both near Dupont and Adams Morgan. I love it and just moved there from Miami...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC