Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 04:19 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

There’s no specific topic of DC during covid. I’m just creating a general thread to discuss positives or negatives or thoughts of DC during Covid.

I specifically started this thread when at Union Station. The station is becoming unbearable. Even accounting for less commuters, tourist, travelers, it seems like the plaza and surrounding has become a giant homeless shelter. Maybe I’m a weirdo but I enjoyed walking to union for cheap bites after a good walk. I know there was always homeless before, both in the bottom food court and outside, but it seems like much more homeless folk and much more rowdy. Fighting, etc. Some don’t even appear to be homeless but young trouble makers. It’s not just Union. Seems like certain areas have just been given up on during Covid.

With all the money the feds are showering over the nation, it’d be nice if more help could flow to the homeless like many other aid relief Americans are receiving. Or more money becoming available to institutions to help the homeless and not just shoving everyone in a single project in a single neighborhood thinking it will solve the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 05:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
https://dcist.com/story/21/02/05/in-...udget-surplus/

Lawmakers had a surprise: an unexpected budget surplus of 1/2 Billion dollars. The largest surplus the city has had...

I’m just so surprised that would come as a shock. How could the mayor and city council not have known.

Quote:

“If we had better projections and we knew that there would be this largest surplus we’ve ever had, at the time it may have been flagged and then we could have put money towards the businesses and other matters where relief was needed,” she said. “How can we know going forward how we’re going to be able to account for anything that comes under this heading of surplus so we can put it to use right away?”

Old 02-08-2021, 11:40 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
I can't blame the budget forecasters for not knowing how to deal with 2020. Nobody really knew how to deal with it!

Agreed that Union Station, in particular, suffers from not having enough other people passing through, but that's true for most of downtown. The retail management company has been having a really rough go in 2020 -- e.g., they lost both Mazza Gallerie and Harborplace to foreclosure fairly recently.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:12 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
I feel for the restaurants and retailers. DC seems like a ghost town nowadays. Every venue I've been to recently is dead, even during Restaurant Week last week.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:10 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
DC should up its capacity for indoor dining to 50 percent. There has been nothing thus far that has proven 25 vs 50 results in higher case loads and we have managed fine in Arlington. I think the city is being smart in discussing opening certain parts of town like the Wharf to allow carrying of open containers- that should help spur additional business as the weather starts to warm up. I really miss live music- would kill to go to the Anthem or 930 Club or State Theatre in FC for a show- used to go about once a month. And Gypsy Sallys (RIP).

Old 02-14-2021, 02:32 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
The pandemic has made DC, and cities in general, a less desirable place to live. Many of the downsides of city living remain, such as the crime and tighter living spaces. Meanwhile the upsides have been hit hard: access to bars, restaurants, retail, theaters, sports, museums, the people watching, the shorter commutes, etc.

But long term, DC will bounce back fairly quickly.
Walkable cities are relatively undersupplied in the US. There will always be a segment of the population that is attracted to the action, walk ability and chacter of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: