U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,166,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
If you live in Georgetown, best locate yourself east of Wisconsin Avenue so as to avoid the booze-fueled revelry of GU students with the "inevitable aftermath".

Georgetown is DC's "gaslight district" meaning that it is historical like Beacon Hill in Boston. M Street on weekends resembles Bourbon Street as its full of drunks. No self respecting native Washingtonian would ever join in, but lots of others do.

Its a very attractive area and there is some old money (the fabled Cliffdwellers) there and a lot of new money.

I counsel Glover Park or Burleith to the north.
Georgetown today can be a bit hectic on weekends, but it is definitely not the party district it was back in the 1980s. I remember those times very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM

42 posts, read 208,016 times
Thanks guys! Now, how close is Bethesda to Georgetown? could you walk there?
which would you say is more hip?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

4,386 posts, read 5,004,595 times
Bethesda is about 5 miles north of Georgetown. Wisconsin Avenue runs through the heart of both.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM

42 posts, read 208,016 times
ok. so 5 miles. so maybe walking would be a little long for a quick pop by but driving would be very very close. man, I can't decide. I'm leaning towards Bethesda though.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM

832 posts, read 2,272,544 times
There are other places to go drink other than Georgetown.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
yrb

91 posts, read 116,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli0808 View Post
wait, that's awesome! I was looking at stuff in courthouse. So I could walk to Georgetown from there? that's a great idea. Is the walk a safe walk? or do you go through some rough areas? Also, what ways to people usually get to Georgetown if not on the Metro? (Sorry I am so ignorant of these things!)

Thanks! you have all been very helpful!
There is no rough areas between Court House and Georgetown, Rosslyn is between them and from Rosslyn you just cross a bridge (pedestrian friendly) into Georgetown, there is no other areas between.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,883,317 times
On one memorable evening last winter, we drove from our house in northern Virginia and fifteen minutes later parked RIGHT IN FRONT OF Pizzeria Paradiso on M Street.
That has never happened again.
However, it is VERY easy to zip into Georgetown from Arlington.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 PM

7,554 posts, read 10,663,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Georgetown today can be a bit hectic on weekends, but it is definitely not the party district it was back in the 1980s. I remember those times very well.
Really? What happened?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,166,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Really? What happened?
Over the course of the late 80s-90s many of the popular bars and clubs closed, such as the Crazy Horse, Pall Malls, Bayou, etc and the area eventually went to more a more upscale retail district. There are a few bars here and there today of course, but nothing like it was during the 80s, especially the earlier to mid part of the decade. During that time, Georgetown was the place to be and be seen on weekend nights. Sort of like what Adams Morgan is today on Friday and Saturday nights.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,004,595 times
Agree, Georgetown is a lot calmer now. I remember 50,000 people converging on M Street and Wisconsin Avenue when the Skins won the Superbowl in January 92. Georgetown was an all night affair. There was a Little Tavern (White Castle) that stayed open 24 hours and would feed the crowds after the clubs closed. Halloween was also crazy! You'd find some of the most unique costumes walking up and down M Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC