U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 PM

31 posts, read 66,037 times

Advertisements

I have never been to DC. My wife and I are thinking of taking a vacation to DC in May of 09 for 3 or 4 days. Where is a good place to stay with some good package deals to see the sights. Are most of the sights free or do they charge? Thank's for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 PM

834 posts, read 2,321,425 times
Almost everything you'd want to see in DC on a quick tourist trip is free -- the monuments, the zoo, most of the museums. There's plenty to do around the Mall that's not even in a museum -- plenty of gardens and fountains and a cute grab-and-go cafe done up like a Paris subway station (that one you have to pay for). So you don't really need a "package deal" to do DC -- just find a rate you like on a hotel room, and plan your trip around the Metro (subway). You'll have plenty to do, and most of it free.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:14 PM

775 posts, read 1,830,725 times
Here is a thread with some good hotel advice.

family trip, hesitating between 2 hotels

As the previous poster mentioned, most things are free and the metro is great and easy way to get around. if you are flying and coming in to National/Reagan airport, you can take the metro right from the airport and avoid getting a rental car.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:22 AM

2,383 posts, read 4,111,706 times
The last time we went to DC we stayed in Alexandria -at the Westin-, not bad, just a metro trip away. That said, it was cold and I hated walking to the metro. This summer we are staying in DC and I am really excited! When my husband and I went we took a heated bus tour around DC at night and that was awesome (just freezing!!!). We will probably not take our children on that trip but it was really nice to see DC at night up close. Most stuff is free to do but when you find a hotel I would call and ask if there is anything 'special' going on that week (end) and what they recommend for a family to see and do. Most hotels will be able to give some suggestions. The only other thing that I suggest and this comes from the locals, is to not go during the week! During the week everyone is working and a lot of schools are taking trips and tours (including Disney-they do a tour trip there) so it is best to stay on a weekend if you can.
Good luck! I know that you all will have a blast! There is so much to see and do you will not stay bored!!!

DVCGAL

Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 PM

834 posts, read 2,321,425 times
I don't know, I'd think the Mall was more crowded on the weekend because most people have to work during the week. I've never head the "stay away during the work week" advice before. You're probably right about the school trips though.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 PM

2,383 posts, read 4,111,706 times
I don't know, that is just kind of what friends told us about going to DC and we did stay on a weekend and there was no traffic but I would not got to DC anyway and try to leave any location at 5 or 6 o'clock (pm)! Weekday or weekend, that time is always the worst any where you go so I think that if you stay put during that time you're probably fine, but that is just what we were told.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM

3,218 posts, read 7,722,601 times
For big weekend events, especially, it seems that locals hide. So that would explain the "come during the weekend" advice. Basically, you'll still run into a lot of people, but they're all tourists and won't get as irritated as people trying to rush past you to get home after a long workday. Parking restrictions are also a little freer (many 2-hour restrictions are only Mon-Fri), so in theory it can be easier to park in the city if you want on a weekend. Note the "in theory", as many others will know this and try to do the same.

Whatever you do, do not get on the metro during rush hours. Go somewhere else, sit and have a drink, or whatever you'd like to do. It'll just save you unecessary stress and dirty looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC