Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 57,975 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC originally. Late 30s, female. Looking into moving to the D.C. area from Austin, TX.

Interested in what people think of living in Alexandria and other suburbs very close to the District. I lived in Manhattan but have a house in a cool neighborhood in Austin and so am looking for the hybrid of things to walk to but not as noisy as the heart of a city can be (I also own a car).

And wondering what people think of the job market in the DC area and if anyone has recommendations on good recruiters in DC that I could talk to about job opportunities.

Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Alexandria and Arlington are more urban than what I usually think of as "suburbs". They're quieter, but both have walkable areas with restaurants, stores, etc. that is much more like a city. I personally love Old Town, it reminds me of a smaller Old City Philadelphia, but it is a little pricey.

As for the job market, it's pretty good here. I'm not sure of recruiters, but it might be easier if you post what sort of job you're looking for.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times
I once thought about moving to TX....yeah, Austin, was right there. However, the idea of taking a pay cut or seeking employment for an extended period of time still discourages me. The job market here is excellent (Accounting/Finance) so as to speak. BTW, I am an Alexandrian myself. Arlington is great but i still think Alexandria is a better fit for someone in their late 30's.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 AM

470 posts, read 2,096,183 times
Yeah, it's not really fair to call Alexandria and Arlington "suburbs." They're pretty big cities in their own right, and in many cases, their neighborhoods have more density, with better cheap, ethnic restaurants, live music venues and entertainment options than most neighborhoods in DC.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM

209 posts, read 984,807 times
DC job market is always relatively strong.

Old Town Alexandria has a little more character than Arlington, but the rest of Alexandria (with the possible exception of Del Ray) really doesn't. Arlington is a little more "happening" (bars, clubs, restaurants, single people on the make) but also seems like a gigantic dormitory. If you're away from the metro in Arlington then the college feel fades.

Both are very safe, have good schools, excellent services, competent government, etc.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarino View Post
I'm from NYC originally. Late 30s, female. Looking into moving to the D.C. area from Austin, TX.

Interested in what people think of living in Alexandria and other suburbs very close to the District. I lived in Manhattan but have a house in a cool neighborhood in Austin and so am looking for the hybrid of things to walk to but not as noisy as the heart of a city can be (I also own a car).

And wondering what people think of the job market in the DC area and if anyone has recommendations on good recruiters in DC that I could talk to about job opportunities.

Thanx!
Old Town is a great place to live, but you should look at what DC has to offer. The district is where the focus of the young professional life is. Living in Virginia IMO is like living in the Bronx.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 AM

82 posts, read 433,794 times
You didn't mention if you were single, had children and where you think you may be working. All three factors could significantly impact your choice since traffic in the metropolitan area is among the nation's worst and DCPS is (mostly) a poor choice if you car about your child's education.

There really aren't any residential neighborhoods that are going to feel like downtown Manhattan. At best (or worst), DC can be compared to certain areas in Brooklyn. I would take a look at both Logan Circle and Capitol Hill. Both are walkable, relatively quiet neighborhoods that have easy access to primary employment centers in the city. From a parking perspective, the Hill might be slightly easier (see: Logan church parking battles) and does have better access to the highways if you want to make a quick escape. Logan, however, is closer to Dupont Circle, where some businesses have their offices.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 AM

14 posts, read 57,975 times
Default Very cool...:)

Great information each of you is sharing. Thank you so much!

As for more details on my circumstances, I'm single, no kids. And my experience is in marketing, branding, strategy, production (for events and for film). I worked in advertising for several years and am currently the Producer on an indie film. I love music and politics.

Again, this is such a great platform, I really appreciate the responses as they are helping me paint the right picture.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:10 AM

82 posts, read 567,578 times
job market is always tops in the country, unemployment is very low. I say why move so close to DC, but not move in. DC is on the brink of becoming a world class city, the changes in the past 10 years have been tremendous, come be a part it

Considering DC is a fraction of the size of Manhattan, but I think you would find most areas in NW (Logan/Dupont/U St/Gallery Place/Chinatown/Penn QTR/Mount Pleasant/Columbia Heights/Cleveland Park/Woodley) neighborhoody, very walkable, plenty of access to public transportation, city vibe, and lots of young professionals. Similarly in NE, Capitol Hill provides the same. I am a NW type of guy so I lean towards those areas.

There are tons of recruiters in the area. My background is in Accounting, so the recruiters I deal with are of no use to you. But I'm sure you could find one easily.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:17 AM

209 posts, read 984,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Old Town is a great place to live, but you should look at what DC has to offer. The district is where the focus of the young professional life is. Living in Virginia IMO is like living in the Bronx.
I don't think this is true at all. The suburbs like Arlington have a very, very active social life for young professionals, fully equal to what all but a handful of DC neighborhoods offer.

It is, of course, a little different than what you find in DC proper. It's not as hip, more frat/sorority-style. You don't see that many dyed blondes in DC whereas in Arlington/Alexandria they are everywhere. You have to decide -- are you a dyed blonde hair or a dyed black hair type of person? 80's night or disco punk? Whitlows or Wonderland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC