U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,071 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people who is moving to DC to work at Bolling AFB as well. I need a 2 bedroom apartment around $1500 or less between Bolling AFB and University of Maryland. The person I am going to live with do not have a car and needs to get to University of Maryland/college park in 20mins maybe by metro/bus. I have a car and want to get to Bolling AFB with in no more then 30mins. I also don't know how bad the traffic will be and I don't want to spend hours in traffic. I was looking in to the apartment complex called The Phoenix at Bladensburg, MD. How is that area? Where is the best place to live for me and my future roommate? We'll both be moving there from AZ. Thank you in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:26 AM

263 posts, read 1,022,671 times
avoid areas that have the name "hills" or "heights" in it

example: oxon hill, capital heights, etc

Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM

23,585 posts, read 33,324,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
avoid areas that have the name "hills" or "heights" in it

example: oxon hill, capital heights, etc
also avoid the "villes" excluding Beltsville

ex: forrestville, hyattsville

Old 05-22-2008, 10:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,901,776 times
But "belts" are ok, as long as not accompanied by a "ville."

Look around the Greenbelt metro, that should work for your situation.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:44 PM

60 posts, read 421,757 times
Brookland in DC could also work.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 PM
loi

3 posts, read 15,917 times
The best places in Prince George's County, which is where you will be are Laurel and Greenbelt. Granted, they aren't that great. Try to find something in Montgomery County. Take a look at Silver Spring. Downtown Silver Spring is great and you could find something nice for $1500. You will also be close to the beltway and metro. I've lived in this area my entire life. Avoid Prince Georges County. Especiallly Blandensburg.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,071 times
Thanks for everyones replies. You've been really helpfull. So I want to look around greenbelt areas, as well as silver spring and Montgomery county. No villes, no hills, and no heights

Thanks again.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 PM

25 posts, read 120,302 times
Some of this advice is not very helpful for the op--silver spring is nice, but the commute from there to Bolling AFB is not going to be fun. Southern PG county inside the capital beltway is not very nice. There are some pockets which are exceptions, but as someone moving here I wouldn't recommend trying to find them. Thus, avoid anything close the the green line (branch ave side) or the blue line inside the beltway. Blandsburg is not nice, either.
Proximity to UMD is also important--look on the university of maryland transportation website. They have information about free shuttle bus services run by the university, which would be the best bet for a student w/out a car. Look for places close to these routs. Places to look include Greenbelt (except for by the spring hill lake apartments), College Park/University Park, Beltsville, Berwyn Hights and maybe New Carrelton/Lanham, though this area is more hit or miss. Berwyn Hights and parts of Beltsville may be the nicest. Laural is nice, but it would be a longer drive for you. Mo County is not going to work for someone wanting a short ish commute to Bolling.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM

13,041 posts, read 19,873,240 times
Laurel and Beltsville are nice, but do not fit your desire to get to Bolling in 30 minutes. From Beltsville, for example, you're going to have to tolerate a lot longer time than 30 minutes. I think Greenbelt is your best bet. It is easy to UM and you don't need to use the Beltway at all. College Park itself would be equally good, if you use regular roads to get to the BW Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or