Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 10:08 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Working for the Federal Government is mainly about job security, a guaranteed pay scale and certain benefits like a pension after you retire.

If “prestige” is a big thing to you, then you should be a doctor, lawyer, stock broker, hedge fund manager, CEO or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 10:11 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I wouldn't consider it prestigious at all. The salaries typically aren't the best, most government people I come across are boring and have no real motivation in life other than working a boring job where the salaries are capped. All of my friends are in the private sector in DC and generally make a lot more money than government employees and don't come with the attitude of entitlement. Some jerk had the tenacity to tell me she was a GS-13 because I had her car towed from my parking lot. And I care because? There was signage all over the place that parking wasn't available, only for guests. I had no idea what a GS-13 even was. Goes to show you how some people are. I did learn its someone who makes a lot less than me and still feels they're special somehow.
Bless your heart.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:36 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Working for the Federal Government is mainly about job security, a guaranteed pay scale and certain benefits like a pension after you retire.

If “prestige” is a big thing to you, then you should be a doctor, lawyer, stock broker, hedge fund manager, CEO or something along those lines.
You know there are plenty of doctors and lawyers that are employed by the feds, right? Federal positions run the gamut from janitors to actual rocket scientists but folks talk as though it's all paper pushing. Many positions are but plenty are impactful and substantial, even if they aren't necessarily considered prestigious by the masses.

Stock broker and hedge fund manager may have been prestigious in the 90s or so, but not so much post-recession IMO.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:58 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You know there are plenty of doctors and lawyers that are employed by the feds, right? Federal positions run the gamut from janitors to actual rocket scientists but folks talk as though it's all paper pushing. Many positions are but plenty are impactful and substantial, even if they aren't necessarily considered prestigious by the masses.

Stock broker and hedge fund manager may have been prestigious in the 90s or so, but not so much post-recession IMO.
bless your heart

Old 09-13-2022, 08:21 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Prestige is partly on the worker, how much pride they take in the job.

I feel many/most GS-15s and SESs especially (Deputies or Director level often) think their position is prestigious and demand a certain amount of respect. Some do it with vinegar, others with honey.

There are plenty of important positions in the Federal Gov't. The prestige has more to do with the role/mission than the money which is solid but modest.

But beware, so many people on the right politically will look down on your Federal job.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:34 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

I meant doctors or lawyers in private practice.

You can certainly live an upper-middle class lifestyle working for the federal government. But you probably won’t be living in a luxury mansion in Potomac or Great Falls.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:22 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
I saw a GS-15 on the very high end makes under 150k in the DC area. Not a bad salary, but you're capped. I don't feel any job where your salary is capped is prestigious. I look at most government workers as lazy, not ambitious, all about their pensions, and usually boring to talk to on top of throwing around their stupid pay grade. I mean that one woman who told me she is a GS-13 (like I was supposed to be impressed) was probably making 5 figures. I'd be embarrassed to share that info with a stranger, especially one who has no idea what it even is.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:45 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I saw a GS-15 on the very high end makes under 150k in the DC area. Not a bad salary, but you're capped. I don't feel any job where your salary is capped is prestigious. I look at most government workers as lazy, not ambitious, all about their pensions, and usually boring to talk to on top of throwing around their stupid pay grade. I mean that one woman who told me she is a GS-13 (like I was supposed to be impressed) was probably making 5 figures. I'd be embarrassed to share that info with a stranger, especially one who has no idea what it even is.

Now I'm no expert on this, but it was always my impression that the 'senior manager' types in the federal government accept the low pay because they can get much more lucrative gigs in the private sector later on the back of their government service and the acquired connections there (as a lot of private companies and firms are eager to have an 'in' with the government).

Old 09-13-2022, 09:10 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,277,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Now I'm no expert on this, but it was always my impression that the 'senior manager' types in the federal government accept the low pay because they can get much more lucrative gigs in the private sector later on the back of their government service and the acquired connections there (as a lot of private companies and firms are eager to have an 'in' with the government).
The exist opportunities/resume building aspects are certainly there. But, also lots of senior people in gov that like the mission/find the work interesting. Many well paying private sector consulting/law jobs are pretty boring/unrewarding. Being a middle manager at a plastics company probably pays a lot better, but working in the CIA counterintelligence division is almost certainly far more interesting.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:17 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
The exist opportunities/resume building aspects are certainly there. But, also lots of senior people in gov that like the mission/find the work interesting. Many well paying private sector consulting/law jobs are pretty boring/unrewarding. Being a middle manager at a plastics company probably pays a lot better, but working in the CIA counterintelligence division is almost certainly far more interesting.

I'm sure that can be a factor though you certainly cherry picked some pretty extreme examples there. I can certainly think of more riveting private sector gigs than say administering farm loan programs at the USDA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC