U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 30,705 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be driving from Boston to DC this Friday. I will leave Boston in the morning around 9AM-ish, and probly will arrive DC around 4,5. How bad is the traffic on 95 S and I-495 W around then? My final dest is Dolley Madison and Anderson Rd in McLean.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 PM

451 posts, read 1,441,092 times
It's horrible.

Not necessarily 95 south...there are some people heading that way out of Baltimore, but your main problem is 495 at rush hour on a Friday.

Nothing you can do about it, just plan on a bathroom break in Delaware, fuel up, and and make sure your AC is working.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,902,414 times
Done this drive many times, you're actually leaving at a good time because you'll at least get through NY before pm rush.

between Boston and NY, make sure you do Mass Pike-91-95 through Hartford and New Haven, 95 through Providence adds about 25 miles and beach traffic in SE Connecticut is brutal in the summer, even on weekdays

when you get to DC, do not be tempted to come in via NY avenue, terrible during pm rush, because of your final dest, I'd risk the Beltway and get off at 123 north, you'll hit Tyson's traffic right at the end but it won't drag on forever like NY avenue

Old 06-02-2008, 04:15 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,010,830 times
Yes, definitely take the Beltway (495-West) off of 95-South. Two lanes exit to the right as you go up the hill. It's clearly marked. If you really do get there by 4:00-5:00, the Beltway shouldn't be much worse than heavy-but-moving. No guarantees, though. A little later and Beltway traffic will be heading directly into the setting sun (assuming it's sunny) which creates a) slow traffic, and b) accidents. If you've never driven that section before, there are about a dozen sharp, high-speed curves between the Georgia Ave and Old Georgetown Pike exits. Do yourself a favor and slow down through that stretch. Once the signs say you're within a couple of miles of the I-270 exit, try using the left-hand lane. That will help you get past the slowdown that is often caused by people who want to go north into MD instead of south into VA.

Once you cross the Potomac into VA, you'll only go a few miles. There are two choices. Take the right-hand exit to 123-North (which is Dolley Madison) as per the above. Traffic will not be that bad, and you're only going a teensy way. Anderson Road is the third right off of 123 (after Old Meadow Rd and Colshire Dr). The other choice is to use the earlier left-hand exit off the Beltway to 267-East (Custis Memorial Parkway). That would put you in the right lane of 267, and you'd want to stay there briefly, then take the very first exit you can. Follow the ramp down to the light at Dolley Madison/123. Go straight through the light and you're on Anderson Road.

Last edited by saganista; 06-02-2008 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 05:25 PM

7,443 posts, read 9,478,290 times
If you don't want to deal with 95 then make your way to 84 and take that to 81 south to 83. Then take US 15 south to 270 south to 495 and from there to wherever you are going. It is longer in distance, but doesn't take much longer in time. It also has fewer tolls and is much less stressful than 95 all the way.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM

303 posts, read 952,787 times
I used to drive BOS-DC frequently. After a few years of adjustment, I settled on the following route:

Mass pike out of Boston to 91 south. Round about North Haven (just after a lumpish hill on your left), get onto 15/Wilbur Cross Pkwy westbound. This becomes Merritt Pkwy and then Hutchinson. Stay on Merritt/Hutchinson into NYC, unless there is a really bad jam, in which case you can take most any southbound exit and get onto 95 in a few minutes. Once you approach NYC, follow the signs for the George Washington bridge - this involves bouncing around onto a few different roads and through a toll at the Hudson Pwky. Cross the GW bridge and get onto the NJ Turnpike. Stay on until exit 7, then follow the signs to 295 south (this is the location of the cheapest gas on your trip). Stay on 295 to Comm. Barry Bridge, then cross the bridge into PA and get onto 95 south. 95 will go through Wilmington and the rest of the way to VA.

An EZ pass will make your trip much faster. Leaving before 10 am is best (8 am is good), the later you leave the worse things get. Sundays in August are surprisingly bad for traffic, especially in NJ.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:37 PM

60 posts, read 317,659 times
I did this trip from Brockton, MA to NE DC in 6 hours and 55 minutes:

Mass Pike West to 84.
84 to 91 South
91 South to 15 South, which turns into the Merritt Pkwy (you and FLY on the Merritt)
Merritt turns into the Hutchinson River Pkwy, turns into the Cross County...go through White Plaints.
Take route 9A to GW Bridge. Then The LOCAL lanes of the NJTP, then the Truck side.
Take to 95 South and follow all the way down to DC.

Def take 495 West around the Beltway and get off at 123 and arrive at your destination.

This Should be a straight shot, but it depends on (mostly) Delaware. Delaware can take 10 minutes or three hours.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:59 PM

482 posts, read 1,043,799 times
I drove from 25 mi. west of Boston to 65 mi. northeast of DC (Edgewood,MD) in about 6 hrs, 10 min. on a Sunday. Driving from Boston to Northern VA, add an extra 1.5 hrs.

My route: Masspike to I-84W all the way to I-684 in Westchester. I-684 down to I-287W. (You could also take I-84 to I-91S to the Merritt to the Hutchinson to I-287W). Take 287W, across the Tappan Zee Bridge (easier than GWB) to the Garden State in NJ. Take the Garden State down to the merge with I-95. Take I-95/NJTP and continue on the NJTP through South Jersey (Don't go through Philly). Cross over into Delaware and rejoin I-95 and take this all the way to I-495 in the DC area.

Advantages of this routing? You can avoid the George Washington Bridge (backups and tolls) and any travel through the Bronx and Norhern Manhattan. You can avoid I-95 through North Jersey. You don't have to travel through Philly.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,865 times
Docking in Boston, renting a car. Want to spend 3 days in NYC-Hilton Midtown Manhattan leave go to Philadelphia for a couple of days, finally ending up in Washington D.C. Hearing all kinds of horror stories about driving in NYC. I also heard about the Acela train that we can take to all locations. Will we be able to get off at all our destinations stay 3 days and get back on train with the same tickets? HELP! Do you have the quickets routes if we drive? Thanks.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,844 times
Next summer we doing a continental 14,000 kms 30 day road trip. For one of those days I have some concern ...

We are leaving Southborough MA at 6am on a Sunday morning and will be stopping for a few quick geocaches in RI and CT. We were thinking of crossing the Tappen Zee bridge and then following the Garden State Hwy to I-78 and take that to Liberty State Park, for lunch. Then, back onto the I-78, to the GSH, to the New Jersey TP and then deeking off that into the wilds of Delaware and Hwy 301 (Blue Star Memorial Hwy) to Annapolis and finally land in DC, near The Mall, by dinner time, or shortly after.

Or so my GPS says.

Possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC