Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 25,189 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the DC area and wonder if it is better to live in DC or VA. I imagine taxes are less in VA... but there's more to do in DC. Any of your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 12:04 PM

112 posts, read 803,715 times
Your question comes at an ironic time ....... just this morning, I said to my carpool passenger, "If I had to do this all over again, I would live in Virginia, within a bicycle-ride range of a Metrorail station."

I work in DC and live in Viriginia, and said these words toward the end of my 90-minute (one-way) commute.

I live in the far exurbs due to family considerations and not for commuting efficiency. I have also lived within walking distance to 2 Virginia Metrorail stations and in southern Maryland. Virginia is safer, taxes are lower, and government is easier to deal with (sorry, DC folks but these are facts). If getting to work quickly is your paramount concern, by all means move to DC. But you will also find the other amenities in the close-in Virginia suburbs .... nice people, night life, community colleges, outdoor recreation, good school systems, etc. Just try not to drive too much - take the subway (traffic is terrible)

In summary, I stand by my words in the first paragraph.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:33 AM

12 posts, read 141,778 times
I hate virginia. It takes EXTRA long to get into DC if you live in VA. If you LOVE DC and work in DC I would NOT live in VA. Look at a map. Do you see the Potomac River making the border for DC and VA? You will have to get over a bridge to get into the District, which makes it really time consuming if you are in rush hour. It's much more efficient to live in MD if you live the suburbs, because you can get into the city quicker. For the most part living in VA you are detached from DC and MD.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:27 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
if you have kids DC is just NOT an option. DC has a terrible school system which is argubably the worst in the nation. plus, unless you make a senators salary you'll be in an area with crime problems. VA is defintely the way to go, that part about subway is true, traffic is terrible here.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
Depending upon your DC destination, it can be MUCH quicker to get to DC from, say, Arlington VA than from anywhere in Maryland. Yes, there is a river between Arlington and DC, but you don't have to swim across the Potomac. There are bridges, and the subway, which goes under the river. On the other hand, there are miles of traffic-clogged roads between Montgomery County (and, for that matter, between far northwest DC where many desirable neighborhoods are located) and downtown DC. Even the Metro ride will be longer from those areas.
I know people who live in Bethesda who get on the Beltway in the morning, drive across the American Legion Bridge into Virginia, get onto the GW Pkwy, and drive back across a different bridge to get to DC.
So, don't rule out Virginia because of the river. Figure out where you'll be working in DC, and then invest in an ADC map of the Metro Washington area, and go from there.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times
virginia, i like better unless we are talking about Annapolis. Alexandria seems to have more of a mix of conservatives and liberals, while maryland seems to be more liberal

Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 AM

82 posts, read 567,466 times
Taxes in VA are higher once you consider the property tax (for instance the tax you have to pay on your car). DC income tax and sale tax are higher in DC. Many articles have been written in regards to the cost of living in DC vs the cost of living in the suburbs, commuting, and the added stress (generally it pays to live in the city). If you have kids VA is probably better because your taxes are pumped into a very good school system. On the other hand DC public schools are terrible, but the private schools are great. I live in DC and walk to work every day. Metro is an option but walking is preferred. Close in VA suburbs are adequate for urban living..Alexandria and Clarendon come to mind, but the homes are just as expensive as georgtown , dupont and logan in DC. DC is experiencing changes and shedding its image of a city riddled with crime. Every major city has crime problems but not everyone has common sense (meaning some street smarts). For instance don't walk home from the bars drunk, alone with your IPOD blasting, be aware of your surroundings, don't leave money and cell phones on the seat of your car, etc. If you live in a major city expect crime.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 19,855 times
It would help to know more about where you plan to work, whether you're renting or buying, what sort of income you have, etc. I'm weighing the pros and cons of this myself and, while I decided on living in the District, it was for a host of reasons that hinged on my personal circumstances and don't necessarily extrapolate well to the circumstances of others. If you're young and single, and not making a whole lot of money, you might as well live in the District if you can afford it, but of you have a family and are making a bundle, VA might be a better choice. Income taxes in the District are steep (9.3% top marginal rate) versus VA (top is 5.75%), but VA property taxes on homes and cars can eat you alive.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
The DC government is required to prepare annual reports of the total tax burden on its citizens as compared with those in the suburban MD and VA counties for various household income levels. You can find the most recent report on the DC government website. The results are always the same. The MD counties have the highest tax burden, then DC, and lastly the VA counties. Still, living in the District is a very viable option for many people. And a horrible option for some others. It depends on where you work, how you like to live, and what you like to do. There is no cut and dried way to say that one simply beats out the other...

Old 04-02-2007, 09:47 PM

18 posts, read 115,726 times
I always tell people that living closer to where you work will make your experience living here a pleasure. So- even if you work in DC- you can live in VA inside the beltway or close to a metro line.
There is alot of consider, do you have kids, how much to you want to spend on living, how do you like to live your life.
Rents are high right now - two bedrooms near a metro are in the $2000/month range. Going farther out may buy you a cheaper rent, but higher commuting costs in car expenses and life changes. Somethings to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC