U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 22,895 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot about how bad Southeast DC as far as crime but it may be that I'm youthful, naive and country....lol but I'm not worried. But I'm looking for a nice place to stay in Southeast DC. I do not want to pay more than 900 dollars and more than likely I will be an capital hill staffer.

So what are the safer places/neighborhoods I can stay without getting my untinted car windows knocked out, step over crack vials or see prostitutes at night when I come home because that is the thing I'm worried about more than homicide or anything else.

I would like to stay as to close to the Hill as possible but not pay the outrageous prices and also a short cartwheel from a metro rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:07 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,449,535 times
Southeast DC is further divided in two, those neighborhoods on the same side of the Anacostia River as the Capitol Building and the White House, and those on the other side of the Anacostia River. The "other" side is the definite "no go" part of DC. That's not to say that there's not a good deal of overlapping with extremely dangerous neighborhoods within a stone's throw from the Capitol Building, and similarly with safe and peaceful neighborhoods across the Anacostia, but it's a general rule of thumb. The ideal location in terms of Metro accessibility and relative safety would be around the Eastern Market Metro station where you're actually a short Metro ride, or a not-so-long walk, away from the Capitol Building. There's a lot of shopping and retail in this area as well as lots of elegant rowhomes but as is the case with much of Capitol Hill, it's very hit or miss with beautiful nicely-kept homes with well-tended garden on one street and drug dealers openly selling their goods on the next. Rents in DC are pretty expensive. You can definitely find a ROOM for $900 in this neighborhood but I don't think you'd be able to find any one bedrooms. That might actually be quite a challenge in DC as a whole. I'm sure there's a few but I'd be leery that it would be in neighborhoods that would compromise your personal safety.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM

112 posts, read 573,356 times
I echo dullnboring's advice about Southeast DC - he has it right. Have you considered Southwest DC? I worked there for several years and thought it was OK. I think one of the House office buildings is in the SW quadrant and there are numerous metro stations. Good luck on your move from Tennessee, it is the last place I was stationed before my move to DC.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 AM

321 posts, read 1,070,023 times
Ditto here too. I used to live at 10th & Pennsylvania SE and it was a pretty nice block, but right on the border of being somewhat of a dangerous area. Look for small address numbers, the closer to the Capitol the better. And I agree that for $900 a month, you're definitely going to be sharing a place.

Naive is fine, but just always keep an eye on your surroundings! Good luck!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:14 AM

101 posts, read 299,209 times
One of my BEST friends who is an Attorney in DC--- told me that many people are moving to SE b/c the are rebuilding. I do not if that is Fact or Wish full thinking.
RENT is Washington, DC is very, very expensive...I know someone who lives on 16th Street NW the rent for an efficiency is more than 1,500.
I do not know what you can get for $900. good luck.....

Old 01-29-2007, 02:10 PM

98 posts, read 314,933 times
I agree.. My family lives in SW near Waterfront. I'm in college right now, but I live there during the summer. We're pretty close to the intersection of the Anacostia River and the Washington Channel. If you are on the Capitol side of the Anacostia in SE, you are in good shape. Not long ago, much of this area was also a "no go" part of town, but things have changed. The entire SE waterfront is in the process of redevelopment. The new Department of Transportation has been built here. Construction for the new Washington Nationals stadium is underway. There are several new office buildings that are very nice. Old public housing projects have been knocked down. There is a new Residence Inn by Mariott and several new restaurants. The 8th street area, right by the Marine Barracks, is booming. Lots of new restaurants, bars, and shops here. Neighborhoods can vary greatly within short distances though, so make sure to check it out before you pick a place. Just go drive around and you'll be able to tell if the place seems alright. Your car can get broken into in any part of DC, even the really nice neighborhoods so you'll just have to take some precautions.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 16,193 times
Default you'll be ok

You should be able to find something in SE or nearby within your $900 limit. I can't guarantee it will be a great apartment, but there are cheap ones around. Check out the following websites:

Rent.com
dcapartments.com
washingtoncitypaper.com

Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 PM

98 posts, read 314,933 times
Also.. craigslist.org and click Washington DC on the right.. countless apartment listings

Old 08-06-2009, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 12,045 times
how about 15th St SE between Independence and A St would this be considered a safe area for young women

Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 AM

605 posts, read 1,386,012 times
In terms of getting your windows knocked out, the prime thing you have to worry about is leaving anything of value in your car. Also, don't leave out electrical wires or suction cups on your dash that indicate GPS/iPod hookups. That said, there are neighborhoods where almost any automatic transmission car is at risk for being stolen by joyriders. This happens even in nicer areas of town.

That said, since your rent budget is tight, don't bring a car into DC at all if you can help it. Granted, if you think you'll leave in a couple of years, it's cheaper to hold onto a vehicle than sell and replace. Otherwise, registration, inspection, insurance, and parking tickets are very pricey. And, yes, you should always consider parking tickets as a cost of living in DC, not matter how careful you are.

I think you have a pretty healthy attitude about urban crime. Your chances of being the victim of a violent crime are slim. However, I would caution that muggings, though they usually do not result in injury to the victim, are not as uncommon as I would like. If you look into SE, go and visit your potential future neighborhood. Also, try out the Metropolitan Police Department crime maps on their website to see if the overall rates fall into your comfort zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC