U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 AM

10 posts, read 39,916 times

Advertisements

I currently reside and work in Bethesda. However, since rent is nearly $2,000 a month for a one bedroom in Bethesda, I am thinking about moving to Virginia.

I'm a little nervous about commuting from Shirlington (NW Alexandria) to Bethesda. I'm not sure if I have had some luck, but I have been doing some test runs and have been making it from Shirlington (NW Alexandria) to Bethesda in 30 minutes.

My route from Shirlington to Bethesda is:

Take 395N for .5 mile to Exit 8B (Pentagon Parking N) to 110 N. I take 110N towards 66 and take the Memorial Bridge (29N) to Canal Road. I take Canal Road to Fox Hill Road. Turn right on Mass Ave. I then enter Maryland and turn right on Little Falls Parkway. I follow Little Falls Parkway until Hillindale Road. I take Hillindale road to Leland Street. My parking garage is on Leland and Wisconsin.

Total mileage is around 13 miles and takes 30 minutes. I drove from Shirlington to Bethesda at 6:30 and 7:00 A.M. - both taking 30 minutes. On the return trip, I left Bethesda at 4:00 and arrived in Shirlington at 4:30. I also tried at 6:00 P.M. and made it to Shirlington in 35 minutes.

People are telling me not to move to N. Virginia because of traffic. Am I getting lucky or is traffic not that bad on this route?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM

470 posts, read 1,904,283 times
No, you're fine doing that.

I'm basically doing the reverse, living in Glover Park and working in the Shirlington Gateway building.

Not too much traffic in either direction on that route.

Shirlington's a pretty nice place to live...nowhere near the metro, but bus service is decent and everything is new...harris teeter, movie theater, restaurants, etc.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM

60 posts, read 422,167 times
that is the exact route I would have said to take. Easy squeezie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC