Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 AM

37 posts, read 166,726 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm most likely moving to DC next spring/summer and I was wondering if you could help me out with some neighborhood info.

I'm most likely going to live with a roommate or do the studio/1br thing for a bit. I'm self-employed but also have office skills if money gets a bit tight. I'm looking to pay around 1000 a month in rent (hence the need for a roommie) and I also have a car that is coming with me so parking is important.

I would love to be near cafes, good restaurants, some nightlife but not the just turned 21 scene (I'm 30 and single), and a park nearby would be great as well.

My most important criteria is safety. I'm no dummy when it comes to street smarts but I wouldn't mind being somewhere that the hair isn't standing on end 24/7 everytime I need to go to the car or walk the dog.

So based on that...I'm looking to be within 5 to 10 miles of the city so I'm open to neighborhoods in the city as well as on the perimeter.

Any input is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 11:43 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,711,791 times
Personally, I'd advise somewhere in Arlington or Alexandria. Especially if you don't have to commute (or use a metro to commute) you can get more for your money once you're 1+ miles from a station. Also, further from a station parking won't really be an issue.

Foxchase in Alexandria is pretty nice, and within your budget. I used to live near King & 395 and loved that area as well. Both are 10-15 minutes from Old Town, which has a bunch of restaurants, shops, cafes, and some good bars for nightlife. It's definitely not a college-y scene, it leans much more to late 20s+. There's several parks in the area (as well as a dog park), and is very safe. As for getting to DC, it's a 10-15 minute drive, or you can drive up 395 to Pentagon City and take the metro in from there (<10 minute drive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC