Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:42 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

These demographic maps give one a pretty good idea as to where the Asian populations in Fairfax are concentrated.

Languages Spoken at Home by Fairfax County Elementary Students*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Asians are actually more evenly distributed throughout Fairfax County than any other ethnic group. Areas with comparatively few Asians in Fairfax County are Alexandria, Clifton and Vienna (there are a lot of Asians in the Tysons/Dunn Loring/Merrifield area, but not so many in the Town of Vienna and some of the suburbs to the north of the Town of Vienna in unincorporated Fairfax County).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
These demographic maps give one a pretty good idea as to where the Asian populations in Fairfax are concentrated.

Languages Spoken at Home by Fairfax County Elementary Students*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Asians are actually more evenly distributed throughout Fairfax County than any other ethnic group. Areas with comparatively few Asians in Fairfax County are Alexandria, Clifton and Vienna (there are a lot of Asians in the Tysons/Dunn Loring/Merrifield area, but not so many in the Town of Vienna and some of the suburbs to the north of the Town of Vienna in unincorporated Fairfax County).
Excellent link - informative. Must spread around reputation before I can give it to you again! Informative.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM

929 posts, read 1,903,665 times
Quote:
Wow. Detailed list. Bravo. Rep point for you. I'm going to agree with this list. Although I'm starting to question the idea of Annandale being Asian central as far as residents. It seems like Annandale is turning into a Korean downtown while more Koreans seem to be living in places like Burke and Centreville, along with other OTB (outside the beltway) suburbs in Fairfax County.
Yeah, even though Korean businesses dominate Annandale, there are other towns such as Centreville, in which Koreans make up a larger share of the population.

Quote:
Another great and thorough post. Wish I could rep you twice for both of them.

Just curious...where is Montgomery Mall and Columbia Mall?
Montgomery Mall is in Bethesda off of Democracy Boulevard. It's around 3-4 miles from downtown Bethesda.

Columbia Mall is in Columbia, MD in Howard County. It's not too far a drive from Silver Spring; you pretty go north on US 29 for like 15 miles or so.

Quote:
I like your list..interesting you have Silver Spring below College Park. Not disagreeing or anything, just interesting. I hadn't readily thought of College Park as having Asian presense, but U of M makes sense.
College Park doesn't have much by way of Asian Retail. There's a Middle Eastern Grocery in CP, a few Indian grocery stores nearby in Langley Park, and a Super Grand Mart (kinda like Super H Mart and Lotte Plaza) in Laurel. That being said, if you walked around University of Maryland's campus, or hang around in the Student Union, you'll notice a HUGE asian presence. Asians are around 15% of the undergraduate student population at UM, but constitute a plurality in some majors, such as biochemistry. There are many Asian fraternities/sororities and several Asian music/dance groups on campus; there's even a campus-wide Asian newspaper.

Silver Spring does definitely have more Asian retail though; there's a Lotte Plaza in Silver Spring along with another Korean grocery store called "Korean Korner." There are also several Indian grocery stores in Silver Spring.

Quote:
Centreville-Chantilly...it's really outside of the Beltway? Is there much out there than just purely residential? I've researched heavily Asian areas - lived in Asia for years, and love its nature mixed into the culture. Springfield and Falls Church are the two I researched and found the most interesting. You are making me think I need to research more on Centreville-Chantilly though! Although technically I suppose ANY of them on the list would be good for people interested in having some asian presense in the neighborhoods.
Centreville and Chantilly are quite a way's west of the Beltway, with Centreville being further west than Chantilly. The perpetrator of the Virginia Tech massacre actually lived in Centreville, but attended Westfield High School in Chantilly.

Chantilly has a HUGE Lotte Plaza containing an awesome food court with Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Vietnamese and Japanese stalls. It also has a Korean bakery and an Indian bakery on-site.

Both Chantilly and centreville have more well-kept/cookie-cutter surbuban feels compared to either Springfield or Falls Church.

Asians alone make-up 21.3% of the population of Chantilly with Koreans making up 5.5%, Indians and Vietnamese making up 3.9% each, Chinese making up 3.8%, Filipinos making up 0.9%, Japanese making up 0.8% and other Asians making up 2.5%. When included people who are part-Asian, Asians make up 22.7% of the total population of Chantilly. Asians are BY FAR Chantilly's largest minority, with hispanics making up 10.4% of the population and blacks making up 6.4% of the population.

Asians alone make up 26.4% of Centreville. Koreans make up 8.9%, Indians make up 6.3%, Vietnamese making up 4.0%, Chinese make up 3.2%, Filipinos make up 2.1%, Japanese make up 0.5%, and other asians make up 1.5%. Asians are also BY FAR Centreville's largest minority, with hispanics making up 9.8% of the population, and blacks making up 10.9% of the population.

Both have truly kaleidoscopic Asian populations with no group dominating. However, Koreans are the largest Asian group in both Centreville and Chantilly, and this mirrors the situation in Fairfax County at-large.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,945 times
so off topic but i'm new and want to ask a question, are there more Vietnamese in the DMV area or Koreans? if one were going to learn a language which would be more useful in this area and are the languages closely related?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay7 View Post
so off topic but i'm new and want to ask a question, are there more Vietnamese in the DMV area or Koreans? if one were going to learn a language which would be more useful in this area and are the languages closely related?
I don't live in DC...but love to study it, and the demographics as well. I would say Korean is the higher percentage in number than Vietnamese.

I also lived and worked in South Korea for 7 years...I really believe that the Korean population numbers are only going to increase substantially - heavily moving to the US and other countries. Whereas most of the Vietnamese, I believe their numbers increased moreso after the Vietnam War. For Koreans, they seem to be 'on the move' and in massive numbers at these times.

As far as languages to learn. I would assume that most Vietnamese have been in the US for a generation and raising their second generation kids now. Probably pointless.

I could see the interest in Korean though. But having lived in Korea for years, pretty much EVERYONE in Korea is absolutely obsessed about English. They are very weak at English, but probably guaranteed they will know a lot more about English, especially English grammar than most natives - they just can't speak it very well.

Also, if you studied and knew Korean fluently, it would only be a novelty to Koreans. I lived there for years, and knew MANY foreigners who spoke Korean fluently, and I know some Korean as well. Most Koreans, even in Korea, will PREFER to speak ONLY in English with you, to keep practicing their English all the time. If you speak Korean, they will compliment you, and think it is great, but guaranteed they will always try to speak back to you in English...and if you speak too much Korean, they will probably honestly tell you to please speak back to them in English.

If you really wanted to make some money with languages and such...teaching English is the way to go. I don't think there is anything you could do as a Korean/English speaker as a non-native Korean speaker in America, because guaranteed that in America, they will always hire the native korean speaker or ethnic korean to do translation or whatever else. Over here in Asia, it is different though. I charge $50/hour to teach English over here. I lived in NYC for awhile (as a break from Korea), and while unable to charge that high of prices in America itself, I was able to find some students willing to pay money for a private english teacher - generally businesses in the field pay teachers like $10/hour in the US, but for privates in the US, you MIGHT be able to charge more if you really network, and yeah, if you knew Korean. Generally though, Americans don't value education at all, so teaching english in America is very low pay and very few jobs for it whatsoever. So, I wouldn't readily recommend anyone to move to DC and go into teaching ESL/EFL. Good money over in Asia though - they are obsessed about education over here in Asia.

Anyways sorry for the excessive information...and any grammar/spelling errors I might have made just admitting that I actually make money teaching English over here. But I have to teach in 5 minutes....so I can't be bothered to proofread it at the moment.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-15-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
around Gallery Place metro station

Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Mapping America — Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Looks like just southwest of Chinatown, a decent Asian population in Washington DC now.

Precinct 58 has 22% Asian (out of approximately 2,200 people).

Has anyone in DC noticed there seems to be more Asian living or out and about in that area, more than other areas of DC?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay7 View Post
This would be a humungous waste of time, just to communicate occasionally with someone at a shoppe who probably know some english anyway.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
I'm wondering which areas in DC have a lot of Asians?
On my visit to DC, I saw few Asians. I did see a few at tyson's corner mall. But really, not many asians in DC/Nova?

I'm a single (late 20's) and want to live in a lively area with people around my age. Would Arlington/alexandria be the best bet?

Can anyone who knows the area better give some feedback
Next time come to NIH... lol...

I'm thinking Rockville, gaithersburg, or germantown might be your best bet.... but they are all over MD.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
What if someone had put in a post wanting to know where the white neighborhoods are, they would have been attacked. You are in America now, just live where the rest of us want to be with good schools, low crime, nice homes and lots of places to shop and eat. Why would you care if there are alot of Asians?
because in america he and others who are not the majority are classified as MINORITIES. which unless you're a member of a minority group, you probably wouldn't understand why he'd seek out areas where others like him live.

you, presumably, being in the majority will likely never have to face that decision. its the same reason why ex-pats who move to foreign countries seek out similar/familiar communities.

stop trying to race bait someone into an argument. good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC