Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:14 PM

101 posts, read 180,722 times

Advertisements

Do men in this town usually define "dating" as taking a woman out in the town, getting to know a person in a methodological way and figuring out if they can first just get along with this personality and then figure out if that personality is somethingthey can be around for longer undetermined set of time?

"OR"

Are men in this town expecting not to pay and date, not go to any event, or take time to impress and relate to a woman in a courting manner......but just try to find "friends with benefits" or find free sexual benefits?

Inquiring minds want to know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,069 times
No way to answer that with more than a million different men living around this area.

I can only speak for myself and my friends, but back in my single days I would ask girls out if I was interested or felt a spark. If she said yes, typically I'd take her to a restaurant/movie/comedy club/picnic/whatever as we got to know each other, and yes I would expect to pay.

There are men in every town who'd prefer to find ways to have sex without actually dating.

Not sure if DC is over or under the average.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:47 PM

That is exactly what I am asking... for individual men to just give me their definition or style..thanks for your input Jim

Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 PM

69 posts, read 226,561 times
It depends on what age group you are talking about. Popular culture has changed what is considered "normal" for various generations.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:12 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
It's hard to broadly categorize men in this city and area, as there is such a large population. There's probably a good amount of both. I went out last weekend and most people seemed to be interested in the quick hook-up. It's probably like that at most nightspots, but there are exceptions.

There seem to be enough single people around (coupled with the fact that many of them go to bars/clubs on weekends), that there are some who go to bars/clubs hoping to find someone they can actually talk to after that night. It's going to be tough, but not impossible.

I'm definitely more in the first category (like JimGriffith). Don't get too excited if most of us who respond claim to be in the 1st category. There may not be too many people who will proudly claim that they are looking for friends w/ benefits.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM

I would think this would be a great open way to say how you truly go about your biz, but you raise a good point LIS 123.../

Old 07-23-2008, 02:29 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,069 times
Well I think where you meet people factors into this a great deal.

If you meet someone at a bar, especially one with a reputation as a "meat market," chances are somewhat higher that he's just looking for fun.

As opposed to meeting someone at...oh I don't know, church? Ok that's too obvious, but in this city there are so many social groups based upon so many different things that there's got to be plenty of ways to meet upstanding citizens.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 PM

So then is the overall sentiment that if a woman does engage in this"freelove style" that most men will gladly accept and disregard where this person has been and how many, and if she is a psychotic *****?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM

265 posts, read 1,063,681 times
Hi there, sorry to say this, but I can't respond optimistically.
My impression is that, first, the numbers are a factor, there are a lot more single straight women than single straight men here ... intelligent, well-employed, cultured and women. DC-area culture is a work-oriented one--a lot of people spend tons of time and energy on their job and commuting and talking about it. There's a lot of "who do you know." There can be a cynical tone to the place, maybe from the politics, politicians, pundits, etc. It seems like a lot of guys feel like they don't have to try in any respect.
I also think the treatment is not just limited to here. I have dated a couple of guys who were from out of town (one from Baltimore, one from Pacific NW, temporarily in the area). The former did have some concept of romantic dating and treated me well but had some terrible ongoing problems (one involving a past crime) that in the end drove us apart. The other was fun as an acquaintance but I made a mistake in dating him, he did not have any manners and was extremely cheap, even though he made a high salary and had few expenses. I think this guy had many issues with women, though--bitter.
I believe manners in general have gone downhill in our society, with more laziness and self centeredness in the way people treat each other than I grew up with. Your topic may be also be one for the "Relationships" Forum.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Sorry did not know there was a "relationships" forum. Kind of new..heeh ee..Thanks 4 input though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC