Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 AM

258 posts, read 532,937 times

Advertisements

thank u all and keep the answers comin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:57 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,209,867 times
dude just pull out a map and pick a spot...the whole area is teaming with sucessful professional AA's....pg county has the most...dc proper has tons and so does Nova..

Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 AM

if i did that, i'd be in trouble!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 AM

ok, so here we are almost 4 years later. back to this thread because someone sent me a reputation on this thread (forreal). so heres a quick update folks....... cause i like y'all:

graduated in 08 and was supposed to statr working at providence. at the hiring letter and evrything and i accepted the job. 1 month later, the manager decided that she didn't want me anymore, becasue i didn't have my DC license, which they already knew at the interview..... so eff 'em!!
i got a job at georgetown, worked there for 9 months and moved back to pittsburgh ( GF was having trouble finding a job).
when i moved back to pgh, i worked at a nursing home for 2 months and hated it!! i was PRN also ( prn means 'as needed', so i made my own schedule) and worked 2 days a week. i still wanted to call off! i usally had 16 - 20 patients and i had to do everything for them, so i got burned out ultrafast. then i found a job in baltimore as a school nurse at southside academy in august of 2009. it was a nice gig...... worked 7:30am - 4pm mon-fri, very easy. but the problem was that i wasn't learning anything. it doesn't take brain power to give a kid aspirin and an ice pack. i left there in december 2009 and worked at at baltimore hospital emergency room and got fired after 2months. i hated it there anyway. i'll never work ER again...

from march 2010 to june 2009, i played alotta of xbox. every ad that i found looking for RNs was at a nursing home. and then i found an ad for an agency that dealth with government jobs. in june 2010, i started at the pentagon!!!!! how did i go from getting fired to working at the pentagon?!?!! i was on my own tip!!! i worked the pentagon for 9 months. folks, the pentagon is nothing like on tv and the movies. its just a place to work at. many backroom deals, back stabbing and typical job things happen there. i gave them my 1 week notice on march 17th and by march 24th, i was a travel nurse up in new hampshire.

i worked at dartmouth hitchcock and loved it!!! unfortunately, new hampshire ain't designed for city people. alotta trees, mountains and rocks. if i could pick up that hospital and take it with along with the people, i wouldv're stopped traveling right there. i finished with them at the end of june 2011 and came back lookin for another assignment. unfortunately, none flowed my way for a month. so i worked at PG hospital and laurel regional occasionally and even worked the smithsonian folk festival on the mall the week it was there.

in august of 2011, i got a travel assignment in upstate new york, it was realy nice and quiet. i worked in peekskill, ny at hudson valley hospital. then i came down to union memorial hospital in baltimore. holy $hi+ !!!!!!!!! hooooood as hell, i loved the nurses there. i miss them alot. i hated the work though, very busy and u see that bmore has a massive MASSIVE drug problem!!!
now i'm down here in richmond working on 4th travel assignment. ill be back up there around the mid/end of june.

so where have i lived?
georgetown= i lived at the top of silver spring at peppertree apartments, right off of connecticut ave and bel pre road. it was right across the street from a fire station, so that was a pain in the ***** from the jump. it was pretty nice up there. the apt complex has **** poor parking and we lived on the 3rd floor with no elevator ( move furniture up down and groceries up 6 - 7 flights of stairs!!)

crashed my car coming home from work 1 morning and then GF moved back to pittsburgh, so then i rented a room in the 7100 block of georgia ave. i was finally in DC!! i cant recall the specific address but on google maps on street view, the house has a red and white awning with 3 red stripes in 3 sections...... i know the address is 2 doors up from 7123 georgia ave ( like you're facing silver springs). huge roach problem!!! and nobody in the house spoke english, so i packed up after a month and moved to room in the corner of 1st and bryant street behind howard.

i was being overcharged big time!! i paid $650 + electric for a very small room with 1 window...... but it was on the g6 busline and dropped me off right in the back of georgetown. the apartment the room was in was on the 2300 block of first street ( if you stand on the corner of 1st street and bryant and look down 1st like your looking towards the capitol building, i stayed in the house on the left hand side, 3rd down from the corner). that lasted 4 months

pittsburgh= old apartment

southside academy and working the ER job= i stayed in catonsville right on leeds ave. it was right under the beltway.

the pentagon= lived in catonsville and then down to SE DC!! hahahahahahaah, i made it again. driving down to PG plaza and then catching the train to the pentagon was eating my pockets up!! so, me and my GF found a place in SE. we stayed at the hillwood condos in the fort stanton section. we were right around the corner from the smithsonian anacostia museum. it sooooooo quiet over there for it to be SE dc. the biggest problem we had was grand theft auto. you HAD to get a club for your ride. the second biggest problem was there seemed to be a lack of amenities around. for very basic things , you could drive over to the big giant on alabama ave, the shoppers on naylor and the CVS across from it. otherwise, you had to journey across the river. the hillwood conds were nice though, i would back there again. the ONLY reason we moved is because we're trying to save up to buy a house and hillwood was $1099 a month + gas and electric for a 2 bdrm, 1 bath.

travel nursing (new hampshire, new york, bmore and now richmond)= back up in catonsville (but at a different apartment). we now live over in the west hills secton in charing cross road. the apartment is very small and outdated but its a great location. charing cross road, is quiet, clean and kids play outside.

otherwise, i traveled all around DC and PG county to get a 1st first hand view of things.

HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW!??!!?

your special buddy,

adio

Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM

100 posts, read 162,171 times
wow that's an awesomes story.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,218,386 times
Wow sounds like you've been all over and seem to be enjoying it. Good for you. You and your gal still together too? That's real swell.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM

89 posts, read 274,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
You and your gal still together too?

Funny, I was wondering the same thing. If so, and she's stuck with you through all the relocating, marry that girl, you got yourself a winner

Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Yes, we got married down in st. Thomas on Nov 9, 2010.
Did yall really read all of that??!! Hahahhahahahahah. Yeah,nursing is an adventure. I'm still
Tryna find my niche in nursing. I'll write more later

Old 04-21-2012, 05:17 PM

465 posts, read 926,373 times
Quote:
spare the neighborhood from gentrification which is no joke.
You say gentrification like it's a bad thing. Moreover, news flash, MIDDLE/UPPER CLASS BLACKS MOVING INTO POOR BLACK AREAS STILL COUNTS AS GENTRIFICATION.

Silly race huckster.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
You say gentrification like it's a bad thing. Moreover, news flash, MIDDLE/UPPER CLASS BLACKS MOVING INTO POOR BLACK AREAS STILL COUNTS AS GENTRIFICATION.

Silly race huckster.
i never thought about that, but thats very true as well. its just that thats never ever the pattern. it goes, rich/middle class whites-to-poor black and/or latino neighboords, neighborhood becomes nice and racialy diverse, eventually , as usual, poverty follows wealth, and then poor black, white and/or latinos move in and overtake neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: