U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 PM
 
1,215 posts, read 985,670 times
Reputation: 411

Advertisements

-

Last edited by Plokivos; 05-05-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 AM
 
942 posts, read 859,197 times
Reputation: 605
Fort Washington? Given the rate of gentrification, I'm assuming most are moving to PG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 PM
 
Location: panthersville, ga
233 posts, read 274,758 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Alexandria is right outside of DC and it has two part, the Fairfax County part and the City part. Both have a sizable black population. The places like Lake Ridge and Manassas are in PWC. There are also some nice small pockets in Woodbridge where there are a decent amount of black people. It's very nice down there.

As far as personal economics, the City of Alexandria has some poor black people and some middle class ones for the most part. Of course there are exceptions but a majority that live in the city live in the projects in Old Town or the Landmark area on the western part. The Fairfax County part is a mixture as well. There are a lot of Africans in both parts too.

As far as PWC, you have some really middle class areas. You can get houses as low as $200,000 depending on where you look. Of course they aren't going to look like they did in Mitchellville but you can get a nicely fixed up home for that price. The only issue that would be the problem would be trying to come to DC if you work in DC during rush hour times. For me, I like the area down there because I don't feel like I'm about to be a pioneer. It's a good mix of different groups of people and housing is much more affordable than some of the surrounding areas. Not to mention the schools are much much better than PG and most parts of DC
i've seen those. i cant remember what street it was, but one day,me and my wife were coming down there and soon as we exited off of one of the interstates we ran right into the projects. they're in such a odd area!!

lol, don't you hate that feeling? other black people aren't even impressed when you tell them where you live at and that you're one of the few there, hahahahaahah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 AM
 
Location: panthersville, ga
233 posts, read 274,758 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Just read through your update to remind myself of all the stuff you went through (crazy!). What do you want for you and your wife as far as a home (condo, townhome, house)? Do you have a job lined up after June? Is staying in the DC area a must? Do you need to be in an urban area or are you okay with a more suburban type place?
1.) i want a house. at one point, i was willing to settle for a townhome, but i have plans to have a 65 -70 inch tv, with a full home theater system in the living room or basement. i don't any-fuqen-body banging on my walls to turn my stuff down. plus, when u see what you pay for a townhome vs. a single family, its a no-brainer. single family wins.

2. after june, i'm going to keep traveling. i actually have a phone interview with duke university tomorow to work a contract there for 3 months. i don't do well with interviews...... option #2 is to go back to baltimore and work at union memorial hospital for 2 months. i wouldn't mind it. option #3 is to stay here and work another 3 weeks till june 23-24th and take a 3 week vacation. brotha man needs rest!!

3.) staying in dc is no longer a must. i lived in 3 different spots in dc. i miss the $h!+ out of it......

4.) either one is fine. i just don't want suburbia to be too suburban. for instance, if i hit the powerball for 43million and i had the cash in hand 3 days later, i wouldn't move out to fairview off the corner of church road and fairwood parkway....... to me that's too far, but i know other will say its nothing.

4 1/2.) if i had the 43million in hand, had to buy a house this week and close on it by saturday at midnight, i would stay close to the wegmans out by the beltway. those houses are the gada@mm fresh!!!.

another spot i would definitely do is cheverly. it seems like a quiet jewel nobody talks about. a 3rd spot is the area NE of prince georges mall. it doesn't have a name but on google maps...... adelphi road is west, wells parkway which turns into clagett rd is "north", baltimore ave is east and route 410 is south. i guess thats considered university park. i drove through there one day and it was so quiet and clean. i seen alot of latinos sticking their head outside the doors and doing lawn maintenance (im just assuming the house belonged to them!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 AM
 
Location: panthersville, ga
233 posts, read 274,758 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Fort Washington? Given the rate of gentrification, I'm assuming most are moving to PG?
i used to have big day dreams about buyin a house in fort washington....... big dreams man. but i had constantly read negative things about the southern part of PG county. in particular how you have to drive out of your way to get/do decent shopping

Last edited by adio; 05-07-2012 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: i don't why lol lol LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: 10 Years Later from ...
7,979 posts, read 5,412,597 times
Reputation: 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
1.) i want a house. at one point, i was willing to settle for a townhome, but i have plans to have a 65 -70 inch tv, with a full home theater system in the living room or basement. i don't any-fuqen-body banging on my walls to turn my stuff down. plus, when u see what you pay for a townhome vs. a single family, its a no-brainer. single family wins.

2. after june, i'm going to keep traveling. i actually have a phone interview with duke university tomorow to work a contract there for 3 months. i don't do well with interviews...... option #2 is to go back to baltimore and work at union memorial hospital for 2 months. i wouldn't mind it. option #3 is to stay here and work another 3 weeks till june 23-24th and take a 3 week vacation. brotha man needs rest!!

3.) staying in dc is no longer a must. i lived in 3 different spots in dc. i miss the $h!+ out of it......

4.) either one is fine. i just don't want suburbia to be too suburban. for instance, if i hit the powerball for 43million and i had the cash in hand 3 days later, i wouldn't move out to fairview off the corner of church road and fairwood parkway....... to me that's too far, but i know other will say its nothing.

4 1/2.) if i had the 43million in hand, had to buy a house this week and close on it by saturday at midnight, i would stay close to the wegmans out by the beltway. those houses are the gada@mm fresh!!!.

another spot i would definitely do is cheverly. it seems like a quiet jewel nobody talks about. a 3rd spot is the area NE of prince georges mall. it doesn't have a name but on google maps...... adelphi road is west, wells parkway which turns into clagett rd is "north", baltimore ave is east and route 410 is south. i guess thats considered university park. i drove through there one day and it was so quiet and clean. i seen alot of latinos sticking their head outside the doors and doing lawn maintenance (im just assuming the house belonged to them!!)
I've heard Cheverly is pretty nice and University Park is probably one of the better parts of PG. I will say though that both places have populations drastically different than the rest of PG. If you are looking for a black neighborhood, neither will have it. You may see more of a mix, but both have nice homes. Good luck with your next move, where ever that may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
 
303 posts, read 306,086 times
Reputation: 159
Cheverly is probly 70/30 Black to white now. the efforts of trying to keep it a majority white enclave in inner pg is fading away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 AM
 
Location: panthersville, ga
233 posts, read 274,758 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
Cheverly is probly 70/30 Black to white now. the efforts of trying to keep it a majority white enclave in inner pg is fading away.
clearly, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: White Plains, Maryland
457 posts, read 433,346 times
Reputation: 253
So... I am completely just curious to the folks opinions on here that have been responding, and absolutely not trying to start any arguments or open up a "can of worms", but I'm really curious to what you all think.

Do you think if a person posted the same title to this thread, but substitute "white" for "black", that people would automatically assume and respond with "racist/racism" comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 AM
 
Location: You want kimchi with that?
8,479 posts, read 6,185,761 times
Reputation: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
So... I am completely just curious to the folks opinions on here that have been responding, and absolutely not trying to start any arguments or open up a "can of worms", but I'm really curious to what you all think.

Do you think if a person posted the same title to this thread, but substitute "white" for "black", that people would automatically assume and respond with "racist/racism" comments?

yes, and rightly so. Since blacks are a minority, and black professionals particularly a minority, its reasonable to ask where there are at least enough to feel comfortable. Some time back someone asked where WORKING class whites live in this area (I think it was in the MD forum) and that elicited a pretty reasonable discussion, not calls of racism - cause you know, there arent THAT many blue collar whites around here, and it was an interesting question. Similarly, someone asking where white professional live in PG county, would be asking something legitimate I think. But for the whole metro area? Almost anywhere where professionals live, other than PG county, has white professionals, in substantial numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top