Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:19 PM

160 posts, read 432,181 times

Advertisements

Going into my 2nd week in the Courhouse/Arlington area, I see stuck up interns with their Ivy league shirts walking around everywhere I go. I said "hello" to one in my building elevator today and he didn't even answer me, almost as if he didn't speak English.

Not all of them of course meet the above description, but many do. Some are just interns and don't even have a real job yet and are living off mommy and daddy. By the way, I am a white-collar professional in a six-figure job, I am up here in training at probably one of the desired places they want to work at .

Anyway, just venting. I got out of college within the last 10 years and was never like this. "People skills" are what get you hired in todays ever competitive workplace, so they might take a class in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 04:37 PM

51 posts, read 297,706 times
That's interesting that you felt that hostility. I just graduated from college last month and moved to Ballston from California, and found that everyone was much friendlier. For instance, while I was standing under the awning at Safeway waiting for the rain to stop, I had a random couple strike up a 10-minute conversation with me, then offering their phone number so we could hang out sometime. Then a very normal-looking girl drive up to the awning, asking if I wanted a ride to my car (I'm a guy). While I turned it down as I don't have a car yet, I wouldn't be surprised if she agreed to drop me off at home, a few blocks away.

Of course, these could be isolated experiences and not the general mood of Arlingtonians (?), but overall, that's my perception. Are you noticing this during rush hour? I can imagine commuters, myself included, being a bit more on edge, rushing to not miss the Metro or barking at tourists standing on the left side of the escalator (never me, of course! )

And are you sure they were interns and not young professionals? When I interned in DC last summer, I lived in Dupont. I notice interns concentrated in the city, near the hill or near college campuses with the summer sublets, and that Arlington is more for the "I graduated 0-10 years ago, want to experience urban living without all the scariness that comes with it" type.

On a somewhat related note, I stumbled upon a hilarious urban dictionary definition of 'Arlington girl': Urban Dictionary: arlington girl

Old 08-02-2008, 05:13 PM

160 posts, read 432,181 times
I don't want to generalize, maybe yesterday was a bad day and everybody was in a bad mood. Oh well...

Old 08-02-2008, 08:12 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Some days I have to get out of my car and check to see if it's become invisible. It seems like everybody else is driving around as if I wasn't even there! Maybe you were just having one of those kind of days...only without the car...

Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 AM

446 posts, read 1,648,280 times
I think the original poster has something to his post. It seems like we are all in agreement that many people are not like this, but we must acknowledge that some are. One of the things I hear all the time is how recent grads expect to be doing higher-level work in the entry-level positions and balk when an employer asks them to do something simple like do some photocopying or running an errand. They say these tasks are "beneath them." I'm a pretty calm person, but if I sensed that attitude from an employee of mine I'd give them a direct warning about how that attitude is against the culture of our company and after that, fire them on the spot. Let them try and explain that to a future employer!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 AM

19 posts, read 64,058 times
I agree with billpritjr. I am living temp in same area. Oh, and our whole family of five is here, not very welcome in this young-professional area. But it's all good. It's not everybody and it's like this in other areas I've lived. But it does seem a little more concentrated probably because it's highly popoulated area.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:14 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,798 times
I think that's partially the culture there. D.C. is an urban area, and people are just doing their own thing (like NY a bit). It is also partially because there are a lot of spoiled brats though too!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:38 PM

29 posts, read 157,531 times
Yea, but its also the way my generation (just turned 24 and will be moving to ballston) has be brought up, especially with all the technology around. People are not used to talking to each other or having small talk with strangers anymore. Everyone seems content to walk around alone with their ipods or other music players and rush from point A to point B. Seems like we are used to ignoring the other people around us. Most people walk around my campus with their sunglasses on and music players, which dont help us develop our communication skills with people we dont know. I mean, i do own an ipod, but i usually use it for the gym or when im out for a run. I have had pretty good convos with people i dont know, but for the most part, this seems like a thing of the past...just my opinion...

Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
The above poster brings up excellent points. I think the whole iPod/notebook tech craze is having a big impact on how people interact (or, perhaps, how they don't). It probably contributes to the large single population as well. I'm sure many singles walk past plenty of other singles they'd get along with very well on a regular basis, but they never get the chance to find out. It's extra-apparent in places like airports, but you see it everywhere. People are exposed to all these gadgets and gizmos at such a young age. I'd also agree that the stranger conversations are a thing of the past.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM

69 posts, read 226,586 times
I will be moving to courthouse in a few weeks and I am somewhat concerned about the culture there and how easy it will be to make friends. I gather from the comments above that it just takes some effort, and that Ballston rather than Courthouse may be the place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC