Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 11,053 times

Advertisements

My husband is possibly taking a job in DC. We have three small children, twin 5 year olds and a 1 year old. Where is a safe place to raise our children? Will he need to commute 2 hours each way in order for our children to be in a safe family neighborhood? We are indecisive about the decision to relocate because we currently live in a small community in Washington State and are very comfortable, but the career opportunity is major for my husband. Any help on neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 06:44 AM

66 posts, read 488,693 times
Well my wife and I along w/ our 2 kids 5 & 3 are moving soon to this area and she will be working in Rockville,MD only 10 minutes from DC we also will be living in rockville, try finding out exactly where in dc or virginia or maryland check the metro stops then try to live so public commute is good.

you'll also find better luck in the maryland forum or virginia

Old 01-06-2007, 04:23 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,366,851 times
Small town Washington State to the metro DC area is going to be an adjustment no matter where you wind up. It's just a matter of areas you're willing to compromise on. It seems as if security and schools are of the utmost importance to you. As such, I would stick to suburban counties (schools in DC itself are pretty awful unless ou have the money for private schools). In Maryland, Howard County has the best schools. In Virginia, Fairfax County. While both areas have some iffy areas, they are by and large very safe and family-friendly. Of course, this isn't small town Washington, so you have to exercise a bit more caution than you would there, keeping your doors locked at all times (home and car), avoiding the ATM at night and just in general being mindful of your surroundings and your children's. Both Howard and Fairfax counties are suburban in nature. Townhouses, strip malls, chain stores, new subdivisions, etc. and while traffic is horrific, neither is a two hour commute from DC. The commuting times vary significantly based on whereabouts you're located. If being immersed in some aspects of metro DC is intimidating and you are looking to replicate small town Washington, then yes, a two hour commute will be in order and you'd have to look at places in far southern Maryland or out in Frederick County, but I don't think that's really necessary. The cost of living will be quite an adjustment so I'm not sure how much you have to work with, but anyplace in the DC area is going to be quite expensive by small town standards, so hopefully the change in pay will make up for that.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:36 AM

12 posts, read 141,482 times
Please don't try and commute two hours. The earth has it's fair share of CO2 emmissions. Plus, a two hour commute may wind up a 3 hour communte. There are a lot of nice places to live inside the beltway. Please don't be one of these people who move into DC and try and "commute". You'll just clog up the highways and the atmosphere.

and FYI..... Washington State is a different WORLD from DC. You'' notice people are not as friendly.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:46 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,027,689 times
I heard that DC Public Schools has four good public zoned elementary schools located in wealthy areas. I believe the only good middle and high schools are magnets.

EDIT: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/..._school/dc/108 Deal Junior High School may be a possibility for a zoned middle school. Apparently Hardy Middle School is another possibility http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/..._school/dc/146.

Last edited by Vicman; 02-06-2007 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,366,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I heard that DC Public Schools has four good public zoned elementary schools located in wealthy areas. I believe the only good middle and high schools are magnets.

EDIT: http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/..._school/dc/108 Deal Junior High School may be a possibility for a zoned middle school. Apparently Hardy Middle School is another possibility http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/..._school/dc/146.
While DC schools have a horrible reputation, at an elementary level there are actually quite a few good schools. It's once you get to the middle and high school level that the quality drastically deteriorates. With that said, Wilson and Banneker are both decent high schools, probably the best in the city, but most people who can afford to do so, send their children to private high schools.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,027,689 times
Okay - I believe that Wilson High School is considered to be the strongest of the DC comprehensives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: