U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,612 times

Advertisements

I'm from a small town and am desperate to leave. I've been considering moving to DC to make a fresh start. Although I don't have a job in the area yet, I'm a recent college graduate with good grades. My savings total only about $1500, so I'd have to find very cheap lodging while looking for a job.

Is this feasible--or pure folly?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM

3,216 posts, read 7,646,945 times
Personally, I wouldn't relocate without a job. Though it's not impossible to get one, it can take a while, and $1500 will not get you far in DC (maybe a month or two). I understand being desperate to get out, but I'd still advise that you stay put for now, save money, and apply like crazy. As soon as you get an offer, head on out.

That said, if you really must do it, try looking at sublets or renting a room in a group house. Those would probably be the cheapest options in the area. Might not hurt to consider a part-time job just to help with the bills in the meantime. Depending on where you go, you might even get some health insurance out of the deal.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 PM

353 posts, read 889,669 times
I'd use temp agencies (like AppleOne) to find something to get you on your feet (they usually have a job for you that same day), and once you're situated you can strive for the job you really want. It can be hard to come here with no job and no housing.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:12 PM

41 posts, read 211,415 times
I think $1500 and no job is too scary. The very cheapest housing option must be at least several hundred a month, so what are you going to do if it takes over 3 months of find a job? Would you be willing to work anywhere? If you got a temp job to pay the bills, would you be able to find the time to search/interview for a more ideal job? I think I'd want to save up some more if I were you, and really think through what your options would be if you couldn't find employment quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC