Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 PM

225 posts, read 1,092,592 times

Advertisements

i'm finishing up my degree as a criminal justice major here in iowa and am lookin to move once i'm done. I've been to DC a few times and loved the city especially the museums and monuments.
I also know that the DC area is one of the most if not the most violent city in the nation. Now that doesn't deter me at all.
What i was wondering about is what it's like to work for the DC police? It's one of the few places i'm considering applying to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 AM

209 posts, read 984,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collint View Post
i'm finishing up my degree as a criminal justice major here in iowa and am lookin to move once i'm done. I've been to DC a few times and loved the city especially the museums and monuments.
I also know that the DC area is one of the most if not the most violent city in the nation. Now that doesn't deter me at all.
What i was wondering about is what it's like to work for the DC police? It's one of the few places i'm considering applying to
The DC area isn't especially violent. DC proper, along with parts of Prince George's county, is pretty violent.

Do you want to work for the DC police because it's a challenege? I am aquainted with a few DC cops and the job honestly seems kind of depressing.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM

I want to work with DC police because i like the city and i love the museums.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:45 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
You won't see the museums on your beat, more or less :-).

DC has several major police forces, including:

DCPD - Metropolitan DC Police
USCP - US Capitol Police (Capitol Hill and surroundings)
WMATA - Metro Transit Police (Transit system)
USPP - US Park Police (monuments, parks, the Mall)
USSUD - US Secret Service Uniformed Division (embassys)
FPS - Federal Protective Service (Government Buildings).

And then many minor ones, like FBI Police, Amtrak Police, etc., etc.

You should scout around and see which pays better, better working conditions, etc. All can put you on patrol in DC, but some might be a little more / less dangerous, etc depending on your long term goals.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:39 AM

thanks for the info... the capital police also look very interesting

Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 AM

196 posts, read 920,551 times
DC proper is like a third world country. You have the wealthy living the good life in outrageously expensive NW, and a good portion of the city struggling with poverty, crime, poor schools, poor infrastructure etc. Not much of a middle class, unless you want to count the interns and college grads living off borrowed money with no families to care for. I would suggest driving around all parts of DC and getting a feel for it. There's a total social divide going on and you wouldn't even suspect it's our nation's capital in much of the city. If you're interested in the social dynamics and problems in the city as it relates to the residents themselves, then look into Metro. If you're interested in being involved with the monuments/museums and other attractions that make DC special, I would suggest Park Police, USSSUD, or Capitol Police. USSSUD patrols the white house, exec offices, embassies, and probably some other things, so you might get a little more mobility in that regard. Park Police would be the National Mall, Rock Creek Park, and probably a ton of other places around the area as well. Capitol Police, well, they protect the Capitol and the surrounding House and Senate offices. I imagine Capitol Police have top notch equipment and training, but they looked rather bored (lots of standing around as you can imagine). Although I'm sure they'll take boring over a worst case scenario any day.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:15 PM

thanks for the info. The more i look into it the Capitol Police sound better and better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC