Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,532 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am about to move to D.C. and I am very flexible in choosing what neighborhood I will live in. My question is whether a car is needed or not to live in the city. What neighborhoods within D.C. are convenient for those without cars and will someone living there have walkable access to grocery stores, gyms, etc.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
About 35% of the households in DC do not have a car, so it is possible. How possible depends on where you live. The closer to mass transit and to everyday amenities you are, the easier it is. Many areas are not close to either one. The ones that are close to both tend to be a little more expensive. Sometimes a lot more expensive.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
A lot of it depends on the aspect you may have less control over, which is your place of employment/school. If you happen to work or go to school in a Metro-accessible area, the answer to your Q will likely be yes, b/c you can choose to live in a Metro-accessible area. Most basic things (gyms, stores, etc.) will not require a car. My take is that you're fine without a car so long as you do not need one to get to work or school.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:26 PM

40 posts, read 259,756 times
I live in Woodley Park, DC and do not have a car. Its no problem whatsoever here. I think Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, Van Ness, Dupont Circle are all good areas to live when you dont have a car.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:53 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
I think the only areas where not having a car is a problem would be some places far up in NW like near American U or somewhere closer to the NE or SE corners. Mainly, because at this point you have fewer metro stations.

Most people I know living in DC don't have a car. Both my roommate and I kept our cars, mostly because they're paid off and we had no reason to get rid of them, but we could easily survive without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC