U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2007, 07:09 PM

646 posts, read 53,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Granted, I've spent more time in the NE than the south, so it's a point-of-reference thing for me, to some extent. Plus, right or wrong, I always think of DC in the context of the BosWash corridor. So for me, there are some similarities with the Northeast ... but on the other hand, you get out around Dulles, and you run into Frying Pan Road. That's about as typically southern a name as you can get.
Careful now when you take route 1 starting in Crystal City, its name is Jeff Davis Hwy and I think it runs all the way down the coast.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM

646 posts, read 53,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, the original name of Ayr Hill had come from Ayr County in Scotland.

I thought I covered that, actually. It's all the fault of Dr. William Hendrick...

I see I edited my last post. I also place info on Doomfrrrees.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:47 PM

1,729 posts, read 126,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Wellll, no that you mention it. Actually I've been to the original Dumfries in Scotland and coming into the Dumfries area going North I can see why some of the settlers decided to name it that. Suddenly the hills rise up, almost mountainous that seem to be foothills and are rolling, and it kind of reminds one of the old Dumfries. They pronounce it "Doom'frrrrees". The area with it's small valleys from the interstate and trees and hills in the background in view, etc flashes images of the Scottish Highlands around there.

So that never tweaked my mind because I actually understood that one. Now Triangle is a little odder. How square of a town can you get.

This area is surprisingly busy for small towns, being just off 95 but Quantico is so important I suppose is also a major reason. Just a comment.

Dumfries sounds so much better when you're saying it in Scottish

Old 12-03-2007, 05:49 AM

37 posts, read 144,935 times
Default It's in Transition

Not quite yet. The personality of DC is a unique hybrid of northern, southern, and cosmopolitan. It might even be well described as a cluster of several southern cities. Once the gaps between the smaller hubs close and the property values are more uniform, then this will be a northern city, so to speak.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 PM

360 posts, read 409,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post

DC is more southern just by its climate alone before anything else.
But are winters of Philly, which we would consider northeastern, really that much harsher?

Old 12-05-2007, 11:05 AM

8 posts, read 14,102 times
DC is in the north. If sweet tea is not on the drink menu then you are not in the south.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:21 PM

35 posts, read 104,429 times
Actually no. Tea is in the south is, by definition, sweet. Asking for sweet tea is like asking for lemonade with lemon.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,008,013 times
NY, Philly, Baltimore and DC typically have very humid summers and the same winter. The weather between each of the cities are just a few degrees. Don't let anyone fool you.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:40 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,394,380 times
Can you guys stop calling the "northeast" NE.
NE is New England, and although that is the furthest Northeast you can get it is off-putting to here New York referred to as being in "the" NE

Old 12-07-2007, 09:58 PM

4,640 posts, read 7,150,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajive711 View Post
I think JFK said it best--Washington is a city with Northern charm and Southern efficiency.
...and the winters here really aren't bad. It only appears that way because seemingly no one knows how to plow/salt roads or shovel sidewalks! Of course, I'd take a Boston winter over a DC summer any day.
JFK was being sarcastic, someone explained it to me. He meant at that time, from his perspective, DC was neither charming nor efficient. The South has been historically known as being slower and less "efficient" know with the New South its definitely different....I don't see much efficiency in the crumbling housing blocks and abandoned factories and dying coal mining towns of Pennsylvania and New Jersey Rust Belt. On the other hand, the South is where one finds MUCH more "charm" than the north. Again, the lovely plantations of the Carolinas and Georgia or the architecture of New Orleans is a lot more charming than the cold, drab urban landscapes of the Northeast.

Unfortunately DC is a northern city now because of the transplants from NJ and NY. The air of unfriendliness, the radical liberal politics, the tolerance of illegal immigration, the fact that the area always votes Democrat, the fact that Montgomery County teaches about birth control vs. abstience education and the lack of religiosity here make it very northern. That's not a compliment btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC