Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
It's perhaps relative, if coming from NYC, or Boston DC is "southern" to them. My wife from Boston says she feels Southern hospitality and charm when in DC. But Norther Virginia seems vapid anymore and without either influence.

No it's not so southern in atmosphere, but it's not very NE either to me.
Granted, I've spent more time in the NE than the south, so it's a point-of-reference thing for me, to some extent. Plus, right or wrong, I always think of DC in the context of the BosWash corridor. So for me, there are some similarities with the Northeast ... but on the other hand, you get out around Dulles, and you run into Frying Pan Road. That's about as typically southern a name as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM

646 posts, read 813,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Granted, I've spent more time in the NE than the south, so it's a point-of-reference thing for me, to some extent. Plus, right or wrong, I always think of DC in the context of the BosWash corridor. So for me, there are some similarities with the Northeast ... but on the other hand, you get out around Dulles, and you run into Frying Pan Road. That's about as typically southern a name as you can get.
I always thought Chantilly was a very Southern name.

I always called Manassas, "Molasses" because it took forever to drive thru there until they got some better hwys finished.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:21 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
Quote:
I always called Manassas, "Molasses" because it took forever to drive thru there until they got some better hwys finished.
You really shouldn't say such things or I may fall out of my chair laughing and seriously hurt myself

Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
You really shouldn't say such things or I may fall out of my chair laughing and seriously hurt myself
And then there was Molasses Park on top of it all, like what else could you do with anything in Molasses but 'park'.

Oh well, Maryland sure had some odd ones. Cockeysville.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
Quote:
And then there was Molasses Park on top of it all, like what else could you do with anything in Molasses but 'park'.

Oh well, Maryland sure had some odd ones. Cockeysville.
Just please, don't take on "Dumfries". That would be too easy.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Just please, don't take on "Dumfries". That would be too easy.

Wellll, no that you mention it. Actually I've been to the original Dumfries in Scotland and coming into the Dumfries area going North I can see why some of the settlers decided to name it that. Suddenly the hills rise up, almost mountainous that seem to be foothills and are rolling, and it kind of reminds one of the old Dumfries. They pronounce it "Doom'frrrrees". The area with it's small valleys from the interstate and trees and hills in the background in view, etc flashes images of the Scottish Highlands around there.

So that never tweaked my mind because I actually understood that one. Now Triangle is a little odder. How square of a town can you get.

This area is surprisingly busy for small towns, being just off 95 but Quantico is so important I suppose is also a major reason. Just a comment.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-19-2007 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post

Also I don't think necessarily such names are Southern, perhaps more rural and country origins. They certainly have quite a bit of that in the Midwest.

And if you can interpret Spanish, out west has some dillies when you translate names.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:25 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
You never know about names. A lot of people assume that Vienna, VA must be named after Vienna, Austria, especially as there is a rather substantial section known as Vienna Woods. But it's not. It's actually named after Vienna, New York (which itself is named after Vienna, Austria, and is now about a third the size of Vienna, VA), and the name came to be in the late 1850's when the village, having been known as Ayr Hill for about 85 years, found itself in need of a local doctor. It found one in that NY burg, and he was willing to move, but only on condition that the village name be changed to Vienna. It was, and that's been it for the past century and a half...

Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You never know about names. A lot of people assume that Vienna, VA must be named after Vienna, Austria, especially as there is a rather substantial section known as Vienna Woods. But it's not. It's actually named after Vienna, New York (which itself is named after Vienna, Austria, and is now about a third the size of Vienna, VA), and the name came to be in the late 1850's when the village, having been known as Ayr Hill for about 85 years, found itself in need of a local doctor. It found one in that NY burg, and he was willing to move, but only on condition that the village name be changed to Vienna. It was, and that's been it for the past century and a half...

My hunch was right: The Town of Dumfries was formally established on 60 acres of land at the head of the harbor of Quantico Creek, provided by John Graham. He named the town after his birthplace, Dumfrieshire, Scotland
Dumfries Virginia--Virginia's Oldest Chartered Town (http://www.dumfriesvirginia.org/history.html - broken link)

Scot or English or Irish and Welsh names are very in keeping with Virginia however.

Why would Vienna, VA be named after Vienna, NY? Never mind I see what you meant. I think I remember seeing the name Ayr Hill in the past.

Now to Round Hill out past Leesburg. The eternal ubiquitous name of LEE found on everything.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-19-2007 at 07:15 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Scot or English or Irish and Welsh names are very in keeping with Virginia however.
Yes, the original name of Ayr Hill had come from Ayr County in Scotland.

Quote:
Why would Vienna, VA be named after Vienna, NY?
I thought I covered that, actually. It's all the fault of Dr. William Hendrick...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: