Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:11 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times

Advertisements

Don't worry about what others think if you roll solo into a bar. If you act in a respectable manner and don't come off like a perv or creep, you'll do fine. Sometimes it's better to go it alone than go in a group with other guys who are lacking in social skills.

If you're looking to meet people, bars are a good place to start. You can begin going by yourself and, after you make new friends, you'll have a group to go with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uf2613 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate it! What is the overall perception, if you saw a guy at a bar by himself?
If you're hunched over your drink, leering at the other people.....not so good. But if you look open, relaxed, and happy, then the usual perception (for me and my friends) is "come on over and talk to us."

Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 11,141 times
I just hope you weren't the guy at carpool the other night carrying a Gator work out bag. Not so cool....

Old 10-31-2010, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,519 times
i just moved to Arlington also from ft. Lauderdale fl, it so different here...i turn 21 soon, so what are the best places to meet people?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:02 PM

52 posts, read 240,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
That cracked me up...what if you are a good soccer player..does that count as having 'game'?
I can't tell if you're joking or not. But, for the record, "game" doesn't refer to athletics.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,504 times
Quote:
That cracked me up...what if you are a good soccer player..does that count as having 'game'?

listen to metal
I would have to say any sport that uses some sort of ball would, I play basketball and football and I think I have game at both.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,504 times
Quote:

listen to metal
I would have to say any sport that uses some sort of ball would, I play basketball and football and I think I have game at both.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Check out the semi-annual Arlington recreational classes brochure that they send to residents and put on line. Take a class/classes - learn tennis or some type of fitness exercise or dance, learn Spanish, etc. and you may meet interesting people.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM

74 posts, read 130,818 times
I moved to the area back in September without knowing many people...here are a few things that have worked for me so far:

-Join a social group/activity. I played in a bocce ball league during the fall and met a ton of people -a few who became good friends. DC Bocce League: Home. We're signing up for shuffleboard this winter as well (note, a lot of these leagues are in DC...but worth the trip if you're committed to meeting people)

-Connect w/ your alumni association - almost every major university has a designated bar that everyone gets together at for football/basketball games.

-I agree on going to the bar solo - if you look approachable and friendly, you'll meet people. I felt odd bellying up by myself the first couple times, but have had some great conversations with people.

-Meetup is hit or miss, like a few others have mentioned.

Welcome to the area!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:07 PM

317 posts, read 1,003,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uf2613 View Post
I am a single 30 year old guy that just move to Arlington from Florida. Any suggestions on places to go or things to do to meet people?

Thanks for the help!
Crystal City in Arlington is good place.
Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you will see around there many car with "myFlorida.com" licence plate

There is also free WiFi near Ice Cream & Desserts - Cold Stone Creamery--> there is many single girls there (many time someone of girls try to start conversation with my husband

Also Crystal City is the region’s leader in bicycle culture:
Crystal City | Accessible | Bicycle

Also it is very safe place (Policy & Pentagon policy & security ) and close to Metro.

No, most girls have no accent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC