U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2008, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 9,366 times
Default Not another relocation post...don't worry I've done my research

Like every other relocation thread, I'm relocating to the DC area and am looking for a place to live. I've pretty much settled on a place on California St. NW DC just off of Connecticut Ave. As my new job will be on Connecticut Ave, this is the perfect location because it will literally take me 5 minutes to walk to work each day and not have to deal with bus lines or the metro. Not to mention I've heard this area is great as far as safety and I'm not far from rock creek park, dupont circle, or adams morgan for when I'm not busy at work. However, I have not yet been able to look at the property and have done most of this over the phone and internet. I have just overnighted my application, but am very wary about signing a lease before I see the place. It's a studio/efficiency for around $1200 which seems almost too good to be true for that location. The building has 120 units and is managed by the Barac Co. I've been trying to research this company and their properties(specifically the one I'm looking at) online, but they manage so many properties and they're such mixed reviews that I'm not really sure what to think. I know that Barac was involved in a lawsuit in 2006 about a place they managed on Vernon St., but it seemed as if the complaint was more about the specific managers at that location not Barac. Anyway, does anyone know anything about this company or about this location (California St NW DC) that might provide me with some insight? While the location is great and I'm a pretty adaptable person (I've backpacked, lived in a hut in africa for awhile, etc.) I really don't want something that's going to jeopardize my personal health (ie, lead paint, abestos, infestations of bugs or mice, unruly and aggressive neighbors). I realize that any management co. with this many places probably isn't going to be amazing, and I've dealt with my fair share of uncooperative management, bugs, etc., but I just want to make sure that this place isn't one step away from condemnation. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 AM

3,212 posts, read 7,539,119 times
Unfortunately I don't know that management company, so I can't give any advice regarding them. As for the area, it's great. I have friends living up that way who all love it. You're close to Adams Morgan (big bar area), U Street (another bar area), as well as what you mentioned above. Most of the Adams Morgan action is located on 18th Street, so you'll see people walking around at all hours on the weekends. As far as crime, it's not bad. There may be some noise on 18th Street, but if you're further off then it won't be an issue.

Given that it's a very nice area, the building is probably not about to be condemned. It's a very good price (though not unheard of), so most likely it is an older building. With an older building you may have issues with lead paint (no chewing on the walls!), or possibly asbestos. If that's a big concern, then ask. I grew up in an old house surrounded by lead, asbestos, and other "toxic" things, so the idea doesn't bother me much as long as there hasn't been recent renovation (creating lead/asbestos dust).
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC