Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM

207 posts, read 537,507 times

Advertisements

I live on Blair Road right by the Metro and thats a very nice area. We've had our issues, but overall I enjoy it very much and so do all the people that live around here. Now going towards Georgia Ave, okay sketchy and, Takoma Park MD, along New Hampshire, yeah sketchy too, but I live in Takoma DC, right on the line and for the most part, its great.

Again, have had some incidents, wont front on that but I love it. Dont want to live anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
Takoma Park, MD has rent control. Landlords are not allowed to raise rents more than a certain percentage point per year.

The good news is that apartments are affordable for people with modest incomes.

The bad news is that most apartments in TK PK are complete dumps because the landlords have no incentive to spend money on upkeep because of the rent control guidelines.

You take the good with the bad in the People's Republic of TK PK.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:18 PM

336 posts, read 768,390 times
Some of the apartment complexes in Takoma Park are ghetto.....mainly the ones off Piney Branch rd.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:39 AM

47 posts, read 93,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSandiego View Post
not the best place to live, borders the DC line
it has nothing to do with DC.. it has to do with ms13 up the street near piney branch and university...

ok.. i just realized this was first started in 2007..
still.. flower is ghetto, and so is piney branch north of "la cosita"
(which is great.. if you are scared, go there in the morning and buy something. its good)

Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
I know this is an old topic, but I feel the need to defend my neighborhood. When we moved down here, we had no IDEA where to live and picked the cheapest rent we could find on craigslist. We lived on the top floor of one of the many six-unit garden style apartments in this area. Definitely had it's old-building quirks, but nothing unreasonable. The reason the rents are so low is not b/c it's a bad area, it's because Takoma Park is RENT CONTROLLED. Yay for tenants, boo for landlords. Takoma Park has an insane amount of rules and regulations that are in place to protect and support tenant's rights. We loved living here so much that we bought a house (with a rental unit upstairs) less than two blocks away (same area along Flower Ave, Ward 3). Is it mostly a Latino population? Yes, but that means you can buy fresh fish and produce for AMAZING prices at the Best Way market. Is crime an issue? We've never had a break in (knock on wood) but it does happen. But guess what, crime happens in Bethesda too. Overall, this neighborhood is lively, well-loved, and affordable to live in rent-wise. You'll love it here and never want to leave (like we did).

Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
Unhappy Looks like a dead thread, but since someone posted this year and I just moved into one of the addresses mentioned...

Our place is TINY. The building has lead paint in in door jams entering the building (so don't eat that paint, I guess). We have at least one neighbor above that seems to purposely stomp as they walk, but the neighbor below says she doesn't hear me walking (I am 240lb and only marginally graceful in movement).

Somewhat affectionately and with mild disdain for my decision, I refer to our apartment location as "The Gateway to Langley Park" and, for the money, I wish I had looked around more before signing up for this place. Right after moving in here, I found a garden apartment in downtown Takoma Park (MD) for several hundred dollars less in rent that's much bigger (but not as "charming" as my building). I'd take that place in a split second if only because it's walking distance from the co-op and organic falafel.

A MoCo police officer lives (and parks his cruiser) two blocks away on my street. Not at all oddly, that seems to be the dividing line of any sketchy passers by around here. A friend of mine who lives on what she calls "the other side of the stop sign" (which is right where the cop car is parked) confirms that the neighborhood is completely different just a few blocks away from our place here. I had to call the police for something unrelated to our apartment recently and, in conversation with the officer that visited, was told that most calls he's been on for this street have been pretty troublesome. I certainly wouldn't walk around alone late at night far beyond the aforementioned police car and stop sign dividing line.

My building is old and maybe okay. Perhaps a bit shabby. I watch my TV at pretty high volume and the neighbors seem not to mind, but I hear things from the apartment above all the time. Did I mention it's really TINY?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:51 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
THE RENT IS TOO DAMN LOW!!!
/meme

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC