U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:14 AM

7,760 posts, read 1,732,647 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Washington DC for a couple days. Looking for a safe, well-located (not too far from all the 'stuff') hotel. Is Arlington VA too far? Is it a decent area? Found a hotel that is not too expensive, and it looks decent. Its the Crystal City Marriott. Do you think its in a safe area? How long would it take to get over near the White House?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 03:32 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,128,712 times
Crystal City is about as dangerous as livingi inside a police station. Its a good hotel. You can take the Metro anywhere so location is no big deal. Just do NOT stay in hotels in MD/PG county/ SE DC or NE DC. They are all run down with prostitutes, filthy, and opportunitst looking to get tourists.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,518,367 times
Crystal City is perfectly safe. It's pretty much a sterile community of large high-rise hotels, apartment buildings, condos and office towers. It actually looks like a bustling city from afar, but there's very little street life or retail when you actually get into it. There is an underground mall with a Metro station which will take you to downtown DC (near the White House) in around 12 minutes. While there's nothing particularly noteworthy within walking distance from your hotel, it's in a pretty good location.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:35 AM

82 posts, read 454,102 times
if your coming to visit DC why would you stay in do nothing Crystal City. Crystal City is safe, mainly because there is no one around to commit a crime..its an area populated with office buildings and hotels for the office visitors to stay. If you come to visit DC stay in DC its much more alive..its worth the $30 difference in price for the hotel...any hotel in NW DC is safe...check out Kimpton Hotels....they are hip boutique hotel chain with several locations in popular areas of DC

Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 PM

We chose Crystal City mainly because the hotel taxes are quite a bit lower in that area, than in DC and the price is only $113 a night for a room with 2 beds. Everything in DC (that looked decent), that I could find started at about $200 per night. I was also afraid of being in a bad area in DC .. everyone says its kind of hit and miss in most neighborhoods, so I was a little nervous about that. I would rather be a little further out and be safe, I guess.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 AM

82 posts, read 454,102 times
There are no hit or miss areas in NW anymore and basically 99% of the hotels are in NW quadrant. Lets not forget DC is a major urban city and in major cities there are many different peoples, crime, traffic and expenses. There are no picket fences here or cookie cutter neighborhoods. As for the price of hotel rooms. How many people are you traveling with? Factor in roundtrip travel to and from DC each day plus the time last commuting...is it worth $80/day.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:39 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,146,956 times
You can get day-passes on Metrorail for $6.50 per person. Good for unlimited train travel from 9:30 am until the system closes. No limits at all on Sat/Sun/Holidays. Machines at any station sell them. Bring correct change, if possible. No doubt you'd get more of a feel for the city by staying in town, and as previously noted, the 'bad area' thing in DC is w-a-a-ay overdone, but the price differences are significant and real enough, and it sounds like you've got a very good deal going in Crystal City.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:26 PM

53 posts, read 353,055 times
Everytime my son and I go to D.C. we stay at Club Quarters on 17th Street NW and Eye Street.

The rooms are small, it's not fancy, but the location is great!!

Police are every where and it's in the Golden Triangle area and subway is right next door (runs under the hotel) and the best part - the White House is two blocks away!!

My son and I walked everywhere.

Just DO NOT walk around once the sun goes down (just like at home, I do not walk around at night).

We went on the night tours, but we had tour guides driving us around in a tram-bus.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:24 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,146,956 times
Well, there ya go, and in addition to Cafe Soleil, you've got the McDonald's right down the street in case the sudden urge for a Sausage McMuffin should strike. And just by the way, you'd be perfectly safe walking around there at night. I do it all the time. There are maybe a couple of overly aggressive homeless people early on, but by 8:00 or so, they've all gone on their way, and it's a perfectly enjoyable area. But it would be tough to get a room there with two queen size beds for $113 a night.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM

OK, you guys convinced me. What do you think of the Embassy Suites West End (on 22nd street). It looks like it is in a nice area, with lots to see and do. Prices are not horrible ($175/night).

Or what about the Topaz Hotel, its one of the Kimpton hotels. I must admit, it sounds a little 'odd' for our tastes, but it gets good reviews. Price there was higher ($200/night).

If you have any experience with either of these, please let me know. Which area is a better one to be in (safer & better location)? Which hotel would make it the easiest to get to all the tourist stuff (white house, smithsonian, etc)...

Thank you for all your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC