Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 02:58 PM

83 posts, read 484,131 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have lived here for 2 months now. The city over all is fairly clean, with trash cans everywhere. However, I see chicken (or ribs?) bones everywhere!! It's hard for people with dogs that like to eat bones.

Why do people leave them out like that? Squirrels don't eat bones I think. Bones are bad for dogs, especially cooked chicken bones. I just don't know if some people are doing it thinking other animals can eat them?

Thanks for any insights. I know this is not a very exciting question....

Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,811 times
Because some fools just don't care. I've seen kids throw litter on the ground when a garbage can's nearby, and when I called them on it they snickered at me. I've also seen a grown man toss a bag of lord knows what out of his van, and I gave him a dirty look.

One time I became frustrated with the litter that I grabbed gloves, bags and a grabbing stick and spent two hours in summer heat cleaning the trash. Some people gave me kudos, but one group of folks waiting for the bus pointed and laughed at me.

People just don't give a damn about keeping these neighborhoods clean here.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:45 PM

482 posts, read 945,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL2010 View Post
Hi all,

I have lived here for 2 months now. The city over all is fairly clean, with trash cans everywhere. However, I see chicken (or ribs?) bones everywhere!! It's hard for people with dogs that like to eat bones.

Why do people leave them out like that? Squirrels don't eat bones I think. Bones are bad for dogs, especially cooked chicken bones. I just don't know if some people are doing it thinking other animals can eat them?

Sorry for laughing but HA!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
People, on average, are very uneducated and do not connect their actions to the larger world.

I have a good friend raised in inner city Baltimore and he got into conservation when he saw time and again people throw their trash in the sewer that ran right to the Chesapeake Bay. Granted, this was in a very poor area, but still speaks to the fact that most people do things because they see other people doing things, not having a clue as to the impact of their actions.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:27 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
People are morons. I think it's sort of the justification that it's not "littering" because it's natural or food (like apple cores), but it's still littering in my book. They do it all the time in the neighborhood in Philly where I grew up. I can't tell you how many times we'd be walking the dog just to find him crunching on a chicken bone before we could get to him (thank God he never got sick).

Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
I knew of one person in another area that associated this with (and rightfully so) disrespect. If someone does that on my street in my neighborhood, or god forbid my lawn, they are getting an earful from me. Why would you disrespect my home and area like that? Would you like me to do that to you?

and as people have said it's bad learned behavior. If people respected one another you'd see less of it.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 AM

230 posts, read 859,874 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Actually, I have seen squirrels (and rats) eating chicken bones, so they may be partly to blame. Humans, though, are mostly to blame.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 16,881 times
I'm not actually in DC (Northern Virginia--about 15-20min outside DC, suburban area), however I have also noticed the problem...I live in a more upper scale area. From what I've noticed, it's not always people scattering bones as opposed to the raccoons getting into the trash. We actually have to lock our lids in my neighborhood because the damn things will get up there and pry lids open otherwise. And then it's hell picking it back up....
We've actually caught them in the act several times.

So if you're in a more public area (like downtown, with public trash cans around)--it might be that critters are just getting in there and making a mess.

We seem to have a squirrel and raccoon population that rivals the human one

Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Long answer to chicken bones but I hope it enlightens

Quote:
Hi all,

Isn't DC proper is primarily African-American? That being said I also realize that not every neighborhood citzenry there displays the same type of carelessness discarding chicken bones (or rib bones), pieces of old hair weaves, lost braids, sugary drink cans, or broken bottles. It's primarily ghetto areas where you see this type of thing. Operative word being "primarily" meaning highest on the list but not the only types who do this type of thing. But generally there are a number of people there who are the type of renters who don't care about their community being clean, many youth and young males who haven't been taught to take pride in themselves and their community, or adults of various ages who have lost all their senses to past drug/acohol abuse and/or untreated pyschological problems so they are indifferent and apathetic and the youth have probably witness them throwing food on the ground when finished as opposed to placing it in the garbage. Lastly, there is usually a sense of absence of authority and no one is held accountable for doing anything damaging to the neighborhood so there is a general feel of a no-man's land where anything goes. Sorry, I know this was a LONG answer for your simple question but I often see chicken bones on the ground in certain areas of my city so thought I should give a little insight as to why.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 PM

46 posts, read 195,447 times
I can't help with the chicken bones, but I can share that some DC blogger had a similar level of frustration with treeboxes and empty liquor bottles. And thus was the blog "treebox vodka" born:

Treebox Vodka

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC