U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 56,752 times

Advertisements

I recently received some notifications in the mail that said I was being fined for not paying two photo enforced speeding tickets. I had not received the initial notifications, so I promptly went online to the DC DMV website to look up more information on the tickets and how to contest the fines. I had no problem paying the original photo-enforced speeding tickets, but I was upset about being fined for something I never knew about in the first place.

On the DMV website I looked up my tag to get more information on the speeding tickets. According to the DC DMV website, I received FOUR speeding tickets, dated 6/29, 7/3, 7/4, and 7/5. I never received the initial notification that I had ANY of these tickets, and I only received a 2nd notice for two of the tickets. I also find it odd that I received four tickets all within a week of each other.

I guess I just want to know if I can contest at least the fines for not paying the tickets on time, especially since I never received initial notification. Also, is there a law that states signage warning drivers of a traffic camera must be posted within 300 feet of the traffic camera?

Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,324,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasays View Post
Also, is there a law that states signage warning drivers of a traffic camera must be posted within 300 feet of the traffic camera?
I think that what kind of defeat the purpose of the traffic camera. DC want drivers to drive below the speed limit everywhere, not just on that block.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,279,026 times
I've never heard of any sign laws...the cameras are fairly obvious and are in plain sight usually. If you get a lot of tickets, I think it just means you run lights often...but was it all the same camera? And if you really think you're innocent, perhaps you can ask if there was a known malfunction for a camera. Regarding getting off for the ticket completely, I doubt it. My husband got a ticket for running a light and he's a firefighter w/ marked tags...no way he could get out of it and yes, he did ask. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask about the first mailings you never received, but I would recommend just paying the tickets.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 PM

209 posts, read 909,383 times
Every speeding camera that I've seen in DC does have a sign. They say something like "Speed Limit Enforced by Camera." They're pretty nondescript so you might not have noticed them but I think they're always there. You can also see the white measuring lines on the pavement.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:11 PM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post
Every speeding camera that I've seen in DC does have a sign. They say something like "Speed Limit Enforced by Camera." They're pretty nondescript so you might not have noticed them but I think they're always there. You can also see the white measuring lines on the pavement.
The mobile units do not have signs, although there often are signs on the roads that they deploy the mobile units.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 PM

209 posts, read 909,383 times
Ah, I didn't realize they had mobile units. The stationary ones seem pretty useless. Even if you don't know the camera is there, typically everyone in front of you will slow waaaay down and it'll be impossible to speed past it.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:39 AM

13,028 posts, read 19,859,929 times
With the mobile ones, once you know where they park them, they are easy to avoid. They always park them in the same places. They just don't park them there everyday.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 AM

146 posts, read 359,613 times
I got burned by two photo radar tickets this spring, so I know how you feel. DC.gov (http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1240,q,548201,mpdcNav_GID,1552,mpdcNav,%7C3 1886%7C.asp - broken link) has an excellent map on where the speed cameras are, and the stationary ones (the ones that are on a box on the side of the road, along with the dotted lines on the pavement) are few and between. My suggestion is to keep a more keen eye out, as it can be easy to miss, and to scope out the common mobile camping out spots.

As for legal advice...hmm, don't know, other than going to the DMV office and explaining the situation?

But, yeah... I feel you. Those cameras are a pain, especially the mobile one on 50 heading east near the NE line, especially at nighttime when you just want to get out of DC as quickly as possible. Think of it as a "commuter tax" of some kind.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 38,555 times
Default photo enforcement ticket

i feel your pain! i received a late notice on a ticket i supposedly got in May on New York Ave. I don't even remember speeding. anyway it was for 150 dollars plus 150 dollar penalty. 300 bucks!!! well they say i can write a letter and they may forgive the penalty. we will see!!! BUT.. I was wondering how to beat the ticket. i mean is it really a good picture? there was a form to vacate judgement. i was thinking of giving it a try with some story....any suggestions?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:16 PM

703 posts, read 2,617,594 times
If you use a GPS device (Garmin, Tom Tom, etc.) or an I-phone or the likes, take a look at trapster.com. They've got a pretty good database and POIs of user inputted speed and red light camera locations as well as frequently used speed trap areas. I just started using this with my Garmin Nuvi 260 and it's pretty accurate. The device emits a warning chime whenever a camera or possible speed trap is coming up ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC