Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 17,536 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Maryland from Texas this Spring. He will be working at Johns Hopkins University and I will be working at the Medical Center in Bethesda. We only have one car, so one of us has to use the public transportation. Could you please give me some advice about where the best place to live would be? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 PM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
If Johns Hopkins U means near the hospital then there is a train station at t he hospital. The Medical Center in Bethesda has a Metro stop. Comparing the 2, it would seem that DC is easier to reach via MARC train to Metro than Baltimore. Therefore, you should probably live somewhere near a MARC station in the Baltimore area. Then you would take MARC to Union Station and transfer to the Red Line Metro train to Medical Center. It's a bit long, but makes more sense to me than the other way around. Just my thoughts. Others will know more than I do.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:20 PM

184 posts, read 748,378 times
Is your husband working at the hospital or one of the other campuses?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:44 PM

He'll be working at the main Johns Hopkins campus.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:46 PM

Thank you for your reply dkf747. That's a good idea.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 PM

265 posts, read 1,058,975 times
I enjoy downtown Baltimore and have considered living there (I work near Medical Center Station, Bethesda) but a consultant we had lives near Hopkins U. and found the commute from her home (drive to train area then take train) to Medical Center Metro to be bad, sometimes taking 2 hours by train each way. Delays were common.
You are right to think about alternatives to driving to Medical Center. Congestion is already bad and will be getting a lot worse, with military BRAC consolidations coming. A lot of people seem to like Columbia and Ellicott City in Howard County--everyone I know who lives there drives, and has to come in ungodly early (and get some telecommuting if they can) to beat some of the crunch.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 AM

470 posts, read 2,088,474 times
Well, you could get 0% APR on select Toyotas at any local dealership.

Failing that, Greenbelt would be a decent option, as would the Glenmont metro area.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:07 AM

14 posts, read 32,621 times
Default That's a tough one

Hello Maldea, I'm native DC resident living in LA now (Hopkins grad). Lived in Baltimore and commuted to Georgetown, not fun or sustainable over the long term although Baltimore has its charms and is more affordable. A couple of things to consider, if you're in Baltimore and taking the train, take a look at the red line metro, it's a long metro ride after your long MARC ride, if you miss your train, your commute becomes a nightmare, I know I did it enough. And remember that the segment of the beltway from 95 to Bethesda is really congested. You may want to consider following the red line up to near the end in Shady Grove and then having your husband do the commute to Baltimore through back roads like maybe taking 29. Or just buy another car and check out Columbia MD, kind of dull and suburban but good schools and its about half way for both of you. Keep in mind traffic is much worse in DC, so if you go too far out you'll have long commute. Your employers are great institutions, congratulations and best of luck finding place that works, I don't know your tastes but I think community near shady grove metro might be your best bet, your husbands commute would be worse but yours won't be too bad at all, the metro in DC is safe clean and relatively reliable. You'll enjoy DC, lots of really smart and interesting people.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:30 PM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARicky View Post
You may want to consider following the red line up to near the end in Shady Grove and then having your husband do the commute to Baltimore through back roads like maybe taking 29.
I live in Gaithersburg and just did that trip at 9 am last Thursday. At that time, it took over an hour using back roads. I'm going to do it again this coming Thursday at 7:30 am. I suspect that it will take longer.

Route I took for those who want to know: 370 to Shady Grove to Muncaster Mill rd to Bowie Mill rd to 108 to 32 to 29 to 175 to 95 to 395, then through downtown to Pratt st to Caroline st to Hopkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC