U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 AM

1,999 posts, read 6,532,217 times

Advertisements

Am thinking of visiting an old friend at Thanksgiving I used to know when I lived in DC who now lives in Sterling, Virginia. Since I want to go into DC, I am wondering if there is a metro way to get there? What line would I take? I wonder how far it is from Sterling to the end of the line, also? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 AM

451 posts, read 1,437,317 times
There is no metro going there.

Sterling is waaaaaaaaay out there. I'm sure there's some sort of commuter bus that goes from the vienna metro to sterling, but i dont spend much time in that area.

Metro - Homepage

Old 11-18-2008, 12:41 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,241,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Am thinking of visiting an old friend at Thanksgiving I used to know when I lived in DC who now lives in Sterling, Virginia. Since I want to go into DC, I am wondering if there is a metro way to get there? What line would I take? I wonder how far it is from Sterling to the end of the line, also? Thanks.
Tootsie..I definitely agree with Jim. If you are driving, your best bet would be to take the beltway to the Dulles Toll rd and head out to Sterling that way. Since I only drove out there from time to time and did not use public transportation, I'm not familiar with the bus schedule in that area.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM

708 posts, read 1,341,501 times
If you have a car, but want to take the Metro into DC proper, I believe the farthest out Metro station in your direction is Vienna on the orange line.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 31,813 times
Yeah, there is no metro, but if you don't have a car and absolutely need to get there, you can always get off at West Falls Church Metro to Dulles Airport and cab it into Sterling or take a bus.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:06 AM

1,999 posts, read 6,532,217 times
Oh wow...guess I ask my friend if she can drive me around to see my old haunts when she isn't working. She works out that way, and, frankly, it just never occurred to me that she wouldn't be near a metro line until we started talking about my visiting. Now let's see if I can even get an airline ticket today...

Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM

7,407 posts, read 9,401,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2VA2NY View Post
Yeah, there is no metro, but if you don't have a car and absolutely need to get there, you can always get off at West Falls Church Metro to Dulles Airport and cab it into Sterling or take a bus.
Or use Metrobus 5A (http://www.wmata.com/timetables/view.cfm?line=49 - broken link) from Rosslyn. Would save a lot of money compared to a cab.

Last edited by dkf747; 11-20-2008 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC