U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 14,832 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to DC this summer. We currently live in Brooklyn, in a neighborhood with lots of young families, and lots of stores and events that cater to babies and toddlers, and are looking to find a similar neighborhood in DC (we're expecting our first in June) We're not quite ready for the suburbs, and we want to find an area that's family friendly. I'll be working at home, so I'd like to be in an area where there are other working moms. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,544,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1979 View Post
My husband and I are planning to relocate to DC this summer. We currently live in Brooklyn, in a neighborhood with lots of young families, and lots of stores and events that cater to babies and toddlers, and are looking to find a similar neighborhood in DC (we're expecting our first in June) We're not quite ready for the suburbs, and we want to find an area that's family friendly. I'll be working at home, so I'd like to be in an area where there are other working moms. Any suggestions?
Capitol Hill is practically Stoller City. They have an insanely large and organized Mom's group called the Moms of the Hill (MOTH). Other neighborhoods with lots of young families include AU Park, Dupont Circle, Palisades, Chevy Chase, and Georgetown. Unfortunately, those are some pretty expensive places to live in DC.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,483,661 times
You may want to redefine suburbs. While I'm sure giant strip malls of Targets and Walmarts are the last thing you'd want, some of the inner beltway areas in the DC region might be more pleasing than you would expect. AU Park and Chevy Chase in DC for example are not that much different from those areas you find technically across the city border (Chevy Chase MD, Bethesda, MD). Would encourage you to look at some of them in your search as well.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:07 PM

451 posts, read 1,448,601 times
In DC proper I'd put Capitol Hill and Glover Park at the top of the list.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM

446 posts, read 1,126,006 times
Search North Arlington, especially Lyon Park, Lyon Village and Clarendon-Courthouse. Zip 22201 has your name on it!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,904 times
Jas1979 did you ever get to D.C.? Did you ever find a good family area. Me an my husband are relocating so he can go to school at George washington U and we are coming from California from a ill town and would appreciate you in put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC