Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 26,637 times

Advertisements

hey there-
My big dream is to work in D.C doing policy work around women's issues. Since I am a recent grad and looking into the non-profit world.. figure I am not going to make a lot off the bat. So, I would greatly benefit from any advice on places to live. I am pretty sure living in the city will be a lot, so MD and VA areas sound like my best bet. Just wondering what the cheapest are and the distance to the city. and close to metros. also anyone know good roommate sites?
thanks!

Last edited by gipper18; 02-26-2007 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 26,637 times
Wanted to add if not implied, that I am a female, so safety is a big issue. Also, I would like to do some research on moving to the city. What resources or websites would one might suggest. Thank you
Another one trying to flee Ohio

Old 02-26-2007, 09:58 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
Hey, Ohio is alright. There's that little breakfast place in Dayton that's just heaven on earth! And you won't be getting any Skyline chili in DC either! Or MudHens baseball. Actually, our team is probably worse than the MudHens. Anyway, you're right about the non-profits...you won't be making a lot of money to start out, and not all that much ever, unless you become director or something. Still, non-profit folks are some of the best I know, so there are big plusses to it too. I would think the best bet on living arrangements would be to think about sharing a place in town with 3 or 4 others. There are tons of young men and women doing that very thing right now. There will be ads in the Post of course, but they can be expensive to place if you're on a budget, so even more will end up in the Washington City Paper. It's an alternative weekly...comes out every Thursday afternoon. That will be one of your better resources. They have a website, but I'm not sure if it includes all of the Roommate Wanted ads. Then there's Craig's List. More than worth checking into as well. It's turning into Google...everyone uses it! Anyway, you'll likely have to interview with the potential roommates, which can be inconvenient, but works to everyone's advantage in the long run. Your share is likely to run $600-1200 depending on the situation. You basically want any place in northwest DC that's at least kind of near the Metro Red Line. Not sure if you have a position already, but the bulk (as in a lot, but not all) of the non-profits are scattered across the K Street Corridor within reasonable walking distance (i.e., six to eight blocks) of the Farragut North station. The MD and VA suburbs that are reasonably affordable will likely either be too disgusting to actually live in or too far away to actually commute from. And since it seems to be your pref anyway, I'd just shoot for DC right off the bat. It'll be a hectic lifestyle, but what the heck...work hard, play hard, and you'll have a great time. Let me know if you have more specific questions...I'll do what I can...

Old 02-28-2007, 05:34 PM

198 posts, read 923,036 times
I second living in DC. You should be able to find an apartment or house to share. You're young, and will probably doing lots of after work socializing in the city. Might as well live as close to work and your social life as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: