U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:16 PM

20 posts, read 86,785 times

Advertisements

FYI...If they sprayed your apartment within a week of you moving in, this will create the roaches and bugs that you now see. This is an unfortunate issue that is not easily corrected with first time pest control. Being realistic this is going to take about two weeks for you not to see any bugs if properly treated. Never the less; like one poster said, living in the city(urban area) this is to be expected. Best of luck. Just work with the Manager. I would know this because I am a property manager myself J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,976 times
There is always the option of subleasing, if you really can't stand it. Find someplace else and get someone else to move into your current apartment and pay that rent for you. Obviously, you want to screen them more carefully, because you'll be responsible if they do any serious damage. But if you hate it that much, it might be a good option for you.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,964,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_one View Post
FYI...If they sprayed your apartment within a week of you moving in, this will create the roaches and bugs that you now see. This is an unfortunate issue that is not easily corrected with first time pest control. Being realistic this is going to take about two weeks for you not to see any bugs if properly treated. Never the less; like one poster said, living in the city(urban area) this is to be expected. Best of luck. Just work with the Manager. I would know this because I am a property manager myself J
Agreed. Urban living often entails living with roaches, mice, rats, and other vermin. You just need to take the appropriate steps to make sure they live outside your apartment and not in it. You definitely want a professional in to do a spraying or fumigate (careful if you have pets -- they will need to be removed while this is done). Also, one thing to note, sometimes if a next door tenant has a spraying done, the roaches will migrate to nearby apartments (generally to die b/c they have already been poisoned). If you see a sudden uptick in the amount of bugs, you could assume this is the case. Anyway, your landlord DOES have an obligation to remove vermin and a serious roach problem qualifies. If he/she doesn't work to solve the problem and it remains chronic, it could be grounds to break your lease.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 PM

19 posts, read 42,790 times
First off, I'm moving down here eventually -- let me know which apartment this is so I don't move in :-)

Secondly...good luck.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 PM

286 posts, read 825,215 times
Most places in DC will have some combination of rats, ants, roaches, etc. I hate to say this, but it's true. Our last place was constantly infested with ants and the basement had rats. It was crazy, but it's a way of life in DC. I still have PTSD from the rats...!

There is a great pesticide that you can get at Costco or Lowe's - it's called Ortho Home Defense Max and it works for a long time. If you have ants get the gel called Terro. Test an area before you spray your whole place to make sure that you're not allergic to it. It works really well.

The other thing you'll have to get used to is keeping cereal, bread, cookies, etc. in the fridge. Don't leave any food on the counters overnight and keep everything perishable in the fridge. This includes flour, sugar, etc. Always wash your dishes at night, and don't eat in other parts of the house that will draw the bugs there.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation and I empathize with your pain! Just hang in there..

Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 PM

264 posts, read 410,913 times
For roaches, try boric acid, it REALLY WORKS. Also try COMBAT GEL. It acts as a contraceptive for roaches, ilk, I know but hey, it's better than the alternative. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:02 PM

19 posts, read 42,790 times
Do these bugs come into even the brand new apartments being built near Penn and the Gallery area? I toured some of them, and they seemed to look SPOTLESS -- facade? or legit? and i assume, the higher the floor, the less chance of bugs and rats?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:52 AM

20 posts, read 86,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic526 View Post
Do these bugs come into even the brand new apartments being built near Penn and the Gallery area? I toured some of them, and they seemed to look SPOTLESS -- facade? or legit? and i assume, the higher the floor, the less chance of bugs and rats?
Please do not assume that the higher up in a high rise or a brand new building,the less bugs, rats and rodents. They go anywhere that a food source is located. You can have the cleanest in the building however; if your neighbor(s) keeps a filthy apartment (which is common); it is possible for their houseguest to migrate to yours.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 989 times
i too just moved into a roach infested apartment. I've managed to last one week, but i haven't unpacked or cooked a thing yet. The management came and put down some gel and i'm still killing 10 roaches per day. Help me. can i please get out of this lease or what else can i do? Curious what the above poster finally did about their roach infested situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC