Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM

69 posts, read 162,711 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

So yes, I am still looking for affordable housing. I found a really nice looking place at Quincy Place at 1st street NE, it looked good, but by looking, I couldn't REALLY tell much about the neighborhood, other than it is quite residential. The owner says it is in the Eckington neighborhood. Anyone have any info on this area? Nearest metro is Gallaudet U./New York Avenue.

I also found a place on Maryland Avenue, NE. I was told this was a safe area and that it is on the senate side of the Capitol. Nearest metro is either Eastern Market or Union station.

I like both of the places a lot, and yes, I need economical housing, but, all the same, I don't want to end up in a war zone either. Both places (especially the latter) have seemingly very attentive owner/landlords, and the first one has the owner, his wife and baby living above me. It just seemed that if you would raise your children there, it may not be that bad. But of course, I don't know anything about these people either.

What do you all think? I am single (well, not single, but at the moment, I am moving in alone), 29, and going to be a new graduate student. I am Afro-Caribbean as well, if that makes a difference. I haven't grown up all "picket-fenced" so I wouldn't be coming in all star struck and not wary of my surroundings. Give it to me straight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 AM

Anybody have an opinion?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,872 times
How far out on Maryland? 300 block is much different than say the 1300 block.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
I don't know Eckington very well, but I'd be nervous about walking to/from the NY Avenue stop at night. A few months ago there were problems with girls (mostly Asian) getting mugged. It's fairly isolated at night (surrounded by construction and one or two office buildings), and close to a bad area which isn't the best combination.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:03 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
I think the Eckington neighborhood is, by and large, relatively safe. A couple of blocks are seedy, but I don't believe the crime is particularly bad there. My biggest complaint about it is that there's not much going on in the immediate surroundings. It is, as you note, pretty much all residential. Eckington's northwest neighbor, Bloomingdale, has the beginnings of a commercial center developing, so perhaps that will spill over into Eckington a bit.

I would also echo the comment above about not walking to the NY Avenue Metro at night. The area is certainly in an upward transition, but muggings/robberies continue to be a problem. Union Station and Eastern Market are just fine. COme back in a few years when most of the large scale office projects have been completed, and it will be a very different area.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
As <PenguinSix> says, where on Maryland Ave would be a significant factor. South of F Street and west of 11th Street would be good, and if that's where it is, I'd clearly go for that over the Quincy Place address. The fact that it's described as "Senate side" would suggest that it's close enough to the Capitol to be well into the "good" area. Quincy Place is in Eckington alright, but it's across the street NW neighbors are the very southern tip of Bloomingdale and Truxton Circle, which I'm assured has improved some, but was in the bad old days (like 15 years ago) a horrible area in my view. Both Eckington and Bloomingdale improve into rather nice and stable areas as you get north of NY, FLA, and RI Avenues, but I'd kind of question that southern end, especially if the competition is some of the nicer parts of MD Avenue...

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Also, beware the Sursum Corda area (around 1st and New York). They're eventually goign to tear that place down and start over, but it's still a magnet for crime.

It's interesting though: As Saganista notes, the northern areas of Bloomingdale/Eckington/Truxton Circle are largely improved and, for the most part, safe neighborhoods. As development in and around NoMa continues, you'll see the southern ends of those neighborhoods start to turn as well...although that is still a few years off, assuming development continues in the current economic environment, which is no certainty.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM

13 posts, read 81,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Also, beware the Sursum Corda area (around 1st and New York). They're eventually goign to tear that place down and start over, but it's still a magnet for crime.

It's interesting though: As Saganista notes, the northern areas of Bloomingdale/Eckington/Truxton Circle are largely improved and, for the most part, safe neighborhoods. As development in and around NoMa continues, you'll see the southern ends of those neighborhoods start to turn as well...although that is still a few years off, assuming development continues in the current economic environment, which is no certainty.

I would argue that the southern tip of Bloomingdale (bounded by FL Ave to the south, North Cap St. to the east, RI Ave to the north, and 2nd or 3rd St. to the West) is a good place to be - it doesn't need to "turn" any more than the northern portion of Bloomingdale (north of RI Ave.)

The southern "end" is home to Bloomingdale's "commercial corridor" which was mentioned by someone else. It is home to the Big Bear Cafe (Big Bear Cafe), it is the home of Yoga District (www.yogadistrict.com), it will be home to the new Baraki and Firehouse restaurants, and the foot traffic in the immediate helps to deter street crime.

By the way, there was a homicide a day or two ago in "northern" Bloomingdale at 1st and W Sts. NW. The victim was shot to death on the sidewalk during the afternoon rush hour.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Hi all!

Thanks for your help. The place on Maryland Ave is in the 600 Block, NE.

I didn't know this would be such a challenge, finding housing! I am very glad to be able to come to this forum!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoreese View Post
I would argue that the southern tip of Bloomingdale (bounded by FL Ave to the south, North Cap St. to the east, RI Ave to the north, and 2nd or 3rd St. to the West) is a good place to be - it doesn't need to "turn" any more than the northern portion of Bloomingdale (north of RI Ave.)
That's your opinion, which you are welcome to...but I for one feel safer at 1st and T than I do at 1st and M, for example, regardless of how many coffee shops or yoga studios there are. I do believe it is improving though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC