U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,180 times

Advertisements

Are there any neighborhoods in D.C. where it is very unsafe, particularly for women?
I'll be in D.C. in January and am wondering where I should avoid going (alone) as a young female (not too young, 26) all big cities have those notorious sections, I'm just curious to know D.C.'s no-no zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 05:43 PM

83 posts, read 438,392 times
It's kind of hard to answer. There is always danger if you walk alone in the middle of the night. I think you can tell if you walk into an "unsafe" (or just uncomfortable) area..... I haven't spent anytime in the east of Capital Hill because I was told it's not as safe as west side. But I am sure people live there feel safe in certain places.

Just avoid dark alleys and stay on main roads...... I don't think I help much. Sorry!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,586,079 times
I don't know if there's any area that's particularly less safe for women. If you're visiting as a tourist, most of the dangerous areas will hold no interest for you (large parts of NE and SE outside of Capitol Hill, Anacostia, etc). Just be aware, don't stumble around drunk at 3am, and if you're unsure just get a cab. Oftentimes if I'm out after 11 and more than a 10-minute walk home I'll just take a cab (for as much convenience as safety).

Old 12-18-2008, 06:35 AM

1,505 posts, read 2,812,470 times
Apparently it's even unsafe to be a media figure and stand in front of fancy hotel waiting for a cab--see my other thread.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,077 times
(at night) Near a metro station is usually OK. Streets where there are no retail shops / board-ups or broken over-head lights can be trouble, unless you look like you know EXACTLY where you are going & that you belong there and above all, your radar is up. Typically, women walk with a purpose when alone and where there is sparse foot traffic... some locations just have a subtle vibe & there is very little that can be done, except keep moving.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 PM

23 posts, read 148,951 times
Eh Anacostia isn't that dangerous of an area for women IMO and I have been alone in my area at like 3am coming home drunk.....friend of mine isn't more than 95lbs sometimes leaves my home alone at 1am and has a 10 minute walk to her house alone and aside from some idiots trying too hard to hit on her it never gets any worse then that.....but I digress other then anacostia being of one those dangerous neighborhoods I co-sign with juniper. I mean but at night it's usually a really good idea to avoid going pretty much anywhere alone so it really it kind of hard to answer if you're worried about eh particular neighborhoods.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:29 AM

1,389 posts, read 5,777,768 times
Whenever I am in Dc I make sure my car doors are always lock and windows are always up. DC is a city and I feel anything can happen to any one in DC no matter if you are in the safe areas or not so safe areas. If I have to see my clients at their homes in DC I make sure my husband come along with me.
DC is by block one block might seem safe then the next block unsafe.

You can never walk around thinking you will be 100% safe. No matter who comes in office in DC the city will always have crime issues.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:45 AM

1,054 posts, read 4,615,338 times
Ok, if I was to make a list of neighborhoods from safest to less so I'd have something like this. This is based on sort of a bias, not on any stats, and focuses mainly on NW. I'd love to hear of some areas in NE / SE and how they compare (or would fit in on other people's lists). Some of these might be moved around but I figured this is a good start.

Spring Valley
Kent
Wesley Height
Pallisades
Foxhall
Chevy Chase
Cleveland Park
AU Park
Cathedral
Woodley Park
Glover Park
Kalorama
Burleith
West End
Georgetown
Dupont
Adams Morgan

Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 AM

19 posts, read 54,504 times
This may help, as you can see...there's big landmarks...16th street, big increase...but not much in chinatown (heard the area has really improved recently?)...then it starts up again after 395 (minus union station -- they better keep that safe...2nd busiest station in the country)

Murders Year-To-Date in Washington, DC through Dec. 18th, 2005 (red), 2006 (green), 2007 (purple), 2008 (yellow)

Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,854 times
we just bought a home right off U STREET one block to metro,,,,,,I have two daughters ( 21 and 23 )and a wife.It wasn't safe I would not have bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC