U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,701,357 times
Default Hotel for Inauguration Trip

I just found out today that the hotel my tour group is staying at is the Courtyard by Marriott at Rockville. Can anyone tell me anything about that hotel or the location? How far is it from the mall area of D.C.? Are there any things to do right around the hotel area? Our group will have some time to kill when we get there before we start the tour. Any restaurants, fast food, etc. close to the hotel? Any movie theaters or any other entertainment within walking distance? Keep in mind that this is a group of 6th-8th grade students and parents, so thing for kids is what we're looking for. Any help about this immediate area would be appreciated a whole bunch!!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 AM

563 posts, read 1,061,262 times
Here is the address:

2500 Research Boulevard
Rockville, Maryland 20850

you can google the address and see where you are - if that is the correct Marriot

Rockville and Gaithersburg have plenty to do, but I am not sure if you will be walking to any of the places. Rockville has a few shopping centers that are close by. The Shady Grove metro stop isn't too far away. The DC Mall area is a nice ride on the metro - maybe 30 mins with all the stops in between.

Silver Spring, MD puts out a weekly newspaper that you can probably find on the web. That will tell things that are happening the current week in Rockville.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
Here is the address:

2500 Research Boulevard
Rockville, Maryland 20850

you can google the address and see where you are - if that is the correct Marriot

Rockville and Gaithersburg have plenty to do, but I am not sure if you will be walking to any of the places. Rockville has a few shopping centers that are close by. The Shady Grove metro stop isn't too far away. The DC Mall area is a nice ride on the metro - maybe 30 mins with all the stops in between.

Silver Spring, MD puts out a weekly newspaper that you can probably find on the web. That will tell things that are happening the current week in Rockville.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 PM

451 posts, read 1,382,831 times
Just be thankful you'll be shepherding those kids onto the metro near the beginning of the line.

It's going to be an absolute zoo, and I have no idea how people closer in are even going to be able to get on the metro with trains so packed.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,296,673 times
That area is an office park--many low rise/mid rise office buildings around. I don't think there are any shopping areas within walking distance. There is a strip mall about 3 blocks south but it's nothing really to write home about.

Bring your handheld playstations.

note: on even a good weekend to visit Washington, kids get separated from tour groups all the time. Be sure to take some added precautions and consider other things (i.e. business or hotel cards with every kid/mobile phone numbers) so they don't get lost. On an average 4th of July something like 50 kids get lost down on the Mall. This one is going to be nuts.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks again for the advice. We won't be on the metro. Our tour bus will take us everywhere. As for keeping an eye on the kids, we have an almost 1:1 ratio of adults to kids. Maybe it's the adults I should worry about LOL. We have been preparing for this for almost a year so hopefully we will be ready for whatever comes our way. There will be kids assigned to adults who will be keeping their eye on them. We only have a handful of kids whose parent is not going with them, which will be really nice! I know it will be a zoo, but we are as well prepared for it as I think we can be. I say "expect the worse" and "hope for the best"!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:27 PM

48 posts, read 109,250 times
I think you're being overly optimistic about your tour bus taking you "everywhere". Many roads in DC are going to be shut down for Inauguration. Please think about a Plan "B" in chase your tour bus can't navigate the city. You might want to monitor the Washington Post's website for information related to the Inauguration www.washingtonpost.com/inaugural (http://www.washingtonpost.com/inaugural - broken link) Right now, it's a fluid situation. The various governmental entities are still trying to firmly establish their plans.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgie View Post
I think you're being overly optimistic about your tour bus taking you "everywhere". Many roads in DC are going to be shut down for Inauguration. Please think about a Plan "B" in chase your tour bus can't navigate the city. You might want to monitor the Washington Post's website for information related to the Inauguration www.washingtonpost.com/inaugural (http://www.washingtonpost.com/inaugural - broken link) Right now, it's a fluid situation. The various governmental entities are still trying to firmly establish their plans.
I realize that there are lots of concerns being there will be so many more people in the city than ever before. I just can't worry about it...everything is in the hands of our tour people. I have traveled before with them (Smithsonian Student Travel) and they are the best in the industry. Although other inaugurations haven't had this much hype, they've handled inaugurations before and have done their homework on things. Like I said, I'll expect the worse, but hope for the best. The "Plan B" won't be up to me. We have a tour guide who will be with us the entire 5 days whose job it will be to coordinate and make all travel related decisions. Thanks, anyway, for your advice, I do appreciate it!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
Your hotel [URL="http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/wasrv-courtyard-rockville/"]Courtyard Rockville[/URL] is at Research Blvd near Shady Grove Rd. You can walk to [URL="http://www.fallsgrovevillagectr.com/shopcenter_directory.html"]Fallsgrove Village Center[/URL] From the hotel, go onto Shady Grove Rd (a busy highway) and turn left, staying on that side of the road and you can't miss it. There may be a back way, too.

Fallsgrove has a supermarket, Starbucks, and several restaurants - I recommend Cheeburger Cheeburger. Not many shops of interest.

Shady Grove Road has buses - ask the concierge if they go to Lakeforest Mall.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf2 View Post
Your hotel Courtyard Rockville is at Research Blvd near Shady Grove Rd. You can walk to Fallsgrove Village Center From the hotel, go onto Shady Grove Rd (a busy highway) and turn left, staying on that side of the road and you can't miss it. There may be a back way, too.

Fallsgrove has a supermarket, Starbucks, and several restaurants - I recommend Cheeburger Cheeburger. Not many shops of interest.

Shady Grove Road has buses - ask the concierge if they go to Lakeforest Mall.
Thanks so much for the info! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. We will only have a few hours, but it is nice knowing there are places we can eat. Your post made me laugh......"cheeburger, cheeburger, cheeburger...pessi, pessi, pessi" from the old SNL skit Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC