U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,139,985 times
I can spend up to $2,000/month for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 PM

3,211 posts, read 7,493,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I can spend up to $2,000/month for rent.
For a 1 bedroom or studio? If so, then you'll have plenty of options. Most people I know in Dupont pay about $1300-1500 for a studio or efficiency, though $2000+ for a nicer building isn't rare.

As far as exact buildings, I don't know specifics, mainly because a lot of people I know rent condos from private owners. The same goes for the few I know in Georgetown. If that would interest you, I've always had luck on CraigsList (wait until after Tuesday and the selection will be better). There are also some real estate agencies like Long & Foster that post rental listings.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 AM

506 posts, read 1,139,985 times
All I need is a Studio or 1 Bedroom. A studio would be fine. I looked on CL but you really have to pay attention to the postings. I find it difficult finding nice places on CL but I know many people use it.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:40 AM

3,211 posts, read 7,493,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
All I need is a Studio or 1 Bedroom. A studio would be fine. I looked on CL but you really have to pay attention to the postings. I find it difficult finding nice places on CL but I know many people use it.
CraigsList will be hard until the end of next week because of the Inauguration. I know a lot of people who moved in December but are holding their old place until next week so they could rent it out this weekend/week.

It does take some work, but I've found better deals with private owners on CraigsList since you avoid all the fees for managed buildings (i.e. we looked at a few places that were only $1800, but once you added in miscellaneous fees the final out-of-pocket rent would have been $2400).

Another thing that some people do is they come in for a weekend and just go to the area they want and look for "For Rent" signs. A few of my friends have gotten their apartments that way.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:53 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,009,045 times
Is that $2k/month for rent ONLY, or for rent and utilities? Big difference b/c utilities add up, especially Comcast. If you're flying solo, your utilities can easily reach $200/month.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:42 PM

125 posts, read 275,264 times
I would recommend Georgetown. It's vibrant, interesting, full of action, young people, bars. It's got a "New York City" feel to it.

Way better than utterly boring Arlington, VA (across the river) where I spent five years.

don't do what I did. choose someplace cool to live.

mike

Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM

2,864 posts, read 4,848,092 times
Or just live in Rosslyn or Courthouse and you're able to walk to Georgetown but not pay Georgetown rents. And there are some not-boring places to hang out in those parts of Arlington too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC