Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times

Advertisements

What Brad does is make up a list of all the openings he 'hears about'. Congressional staff turnover is something like 50% every two years so there are quite a few positions that open, but very very few are ever formally advertised. It's so much easier to just 'put the word out' and you'll get plenty of people 'already in the loop' applying for positions.

For example, the Chief's of Staffs from California will have a lunch. One of them will mention "We're looking for a Foreign Policy LA for our office". Another chief of staff tells his legislative director about the lunch, who tells his LA for Foreign Policy, who knows a guy from college who is in DC looking for a new job. Resume delivered at the right place, right time, right person. Most positions get filled within a few weeks and if your resume isn't on the right person's desk at the right time then well, better luck next time.

That's really how you get a job on the Hill, and that's what Brad tries to share in his lists--what he hears about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,428 times
sounds awesome to me

Old 03-29-2009, 06:23 PM

57 posts, read 386,100 times
One thing that was discouraging to me when it came to applying to federal government was that most of the positions were already filled. Or it would seem as if they were advertising open positions but never had any intention on filling them.

I have not tried WorkforCongress.com but from what I have seen/heard it seems like they filter through the crap and advertise "real" jobs where people are really needed.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:59 AM

Personally, I prefer bradtraverse.com. He literally has everything. I have scanned his site and other sites, and he gets stuff from USAjobs.gov, Washingtonpost.com, rcjobs.com, all of them. it's really great. Kind of discouraging though. The majority of the jobs that I am qualified for are unpaid internships. It kind of sucks. I would take it anyway, don't get me wrong, but it's sucky for sure.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM

No one replied to my last statement, but I was wondering...if I stayed at a hostel in DC for a short time, in order to be up there and become a local candidate, would I have an easier time with finding work?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 AM

57 posts, read 386,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
No one replied to my last statement, but I was wondering...if I stayed at a hostel in DC for a short time, in order to be up there and become a local candidate, would I have an easier time with finding work?
Only if you can befriend someone that works there and have them "hand-carry" your application to the appropriate people. You might even be better off renting a room for $75-$100 a week vs. going to a hotel

Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 PM

that actually sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I wanted to stay at a hostel only because it sounded a tad safer being a business than living with a complete stranger first off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC