U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,353,660 times
Thanks for those updates on the Brickskellar. I haven't been in years so it's good to get a more recent update from those who frequent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 PM

2,848 posts, read 4,760,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyp0523 View Post
For anyone who is interested in this subject, I was doing a bit of reading on Washington Post's Going Out Guide and found that Rustica in Alexandria is having a "Beer for Obama" special from today until the 20th. Apparently, their 20 or so taps will be featuring American craft beers exclusively. I'm staying in Alexandria, so I'll be hitting up that place on the evening of the 17th.
It's actually Rustico, but that sounds like a great event.

I would recommend Rustico for great, hard-to-find beers any day, if the original poster wanted to venture out to Alexandria. Best selection of beer in NoVA, period.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 16,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
It's actually Rustico, but that sounds like a great event.

I would recommend Rustico for great, hard-to-find beers any day, if the original poster wanted to venture out to Alexandria. Best selection of beer in NoVA, period.
I knew it was Rustico. I just like to turn everything feminine. j/k

Great, then. It's odd that in all my readings, I hadn't heard a thing about Rustico, then after I run across that listing in the Washington Post, I find mentions of it in Beer Advocate and other places.

I hope you Washingtonians appreciate the kind of diversity and selection of beers and beer bars you have in your area. I live in Dallas and we are unable to get a lot of the beers that are found easily elsewhere (part of the ghost of Prohibition). Sucks for me, but that's one of my many excuses for traveling.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM

2,848 posts, read 4,760,511 times
I think Rustico gets overlooked just because it's out in the 'burbs and not right next to a Metro (though it's a short cab or bus ride from Braddock Road Metro). Food is pretty good there too- try the pizza.

Another good place for beer in VA is the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Falls Church, which carries many of the Dogfish Head varieties that can be hard to find elsewhere.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,353,660 times
While we're talking about pizza, is Matchbox 'that good'? I see lines there all the time and hear people rave, but haven't been in yet. I think they are opening another location on Barracks Row.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 AM

707 posts, read 1,775,484 times
Matchbox is fine, I've never had anything bad there (get the mini burgers), but there's nothing to RAVE about the place.

On a side note for more Beer action check out Granville Moore’s in H street for killer Belgian brews.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM

15 posts, read 16,130 times
I just read a blurb about Granville Moore's in this article in the New York Times. I'm wondering if I'd be able to get in for a few drinks only, or whether the only way to get in would be with lunch/dinner reservations. The article mentions it's a rather busy place, and I imagine it will be even moreso with all the visitors in town this weekend.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 PM

3,211 posts, read 7,406,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
While we're talking about pizza, is Matchbox 'that good'? I see lines there all the time and hear people rave, but haven't been in yet. I think they are opening another location on Barracks Row.
I really liked Matchbox, however I'm not so much that I'm willing to wait 2 hours (but, then again, I don't know if there's any restaurant where I'd willingly wait 2 hours). If you go for lunch on a Saturday or Sunday, I've never had a problem getting a table.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:18 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,077,706 times
Quote:
Any places around the Union Station and/or Gallery Pl - Chinatown stations that would come recommended? I'll be arriving on Amtrak at midnight on the 18th (Saturday night, though technically Sunday) and might be up for a drink or two before I head to my sleeping quarters.

Thanks in advance.

Misty,

If you will be in the Union Station area, the Dubliner and Irish Times are nearby and right next door to each other.

Trust me, you won't be hard pressed to find a decent beer in our Nation's Capital

If you have time, be sure to check out Ray's the Steaks in Arlington.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 PM

3,211 posts, read 7,406,780 times
Quote:
Any places around the Union Station and/or Gallery Pl - Chinatown stations that would come recommended? I'll be arriving on Amtrak at midnight on the 18th (Saturday night, though technically Sunday) and might be up for a drink or two before I head to my sleeping quarters.

Thanks in advance.
I'll second the Dubliner or Irish Times. There's also Capitol City Brewing Company right next door to Union Station

As for Gallery Place, there's Fados (another Irish place) and RFD. They're both right next to each other on 7th Street (1/2 block north of H Street)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC