Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times

Advertisements

13th Street still seems to be the magical dividing line--not that east of 13th should be avoided, only that the neighborhood seems to take on a different character there. My wife and I are out fairly regulalry to places on 11th and 9th streets, and we've never felt the least bit threatened or concerned, but there's a marked difference in ambiance between 9th Street and 14th. 14th I never worry about at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster112 View Post
Is the U Street/African American Civil War Mem. Metro station safe near there?
safe from what?

when I walk around Logan/Col Heights/14th Street, I'm becoming increasingly concerned about all the douchebag liberals with whiny voices who want me to sign their petitions to save the rainbow parrotfish or to stop fighting Jihadists

place is turning into San Francisco with better looking women

Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 AM

81 posts, read 175,942 times
The Adams Morgan/U Street areas are crime hotspots, well, at least they were a year or so ago. It doesn't mean that you will be affected by the crime. MPD are always patrolling the area so ignore the MS13 crap, like most areas in DC the crime there is NOT gang related rather it’s committed by young juveniles who are out to impress their friends or are trying to buy a new pair of sneakers. In addition, I know lots of women who live and frequent the area who have not been affected by the crime.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
Adams Morgan is a nightmare on Friday and Saturday nights. I can't imagine what's its like for those who are trying to get some sleep. And it's every weekend. And the parking is horrible.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Adams Morgan is a nightmare on Friday and Saturday nights. I can't imagine what's its like for those who are trying to get some sleep. And it's every weekend. And the parking is horrible.
It's pretty bad for trying to get some sleep. Loud idiots till like 2AM, and whenever I'm walking on 18th I always make sure not to bump into someone cos you never know when you'll bump into some alcoholic who will try and kill you for 'disrespeckin' him... and yet people wanna ban cigarettes while not even mentioning another ban on alcohol

But it's not too hard to get used to. My dad lives 'round there and I don't have much trouble falling asleep. Plus it's great to be a two minute walk from places like Tryst and Amsterdam Falafelshop.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Sometimes I wonder why there are so many threads on safety. Not to say that that shouldn't be a concern, but it seems like there's been a "safety" thread on every neighborhood in the entire city
All of City-Data is like that. It's downright toxic in some other forums. Not to impugn this particular OP's motives, but at least some of the concern over "safety" appears to be veiled code for Americans' race anxiety and general lack of understanding about how cities and public space work.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
That's the vibe I get, and not necessarily from the OP, but in general. When someone asks me if the area I live in is safe (Columbia Heights), I can tell what they really mean. DC is a city, and in a city, you're going to have your share of crimes, etc. And while it's not as bad as it was say...10 years ago, use common sense. I read stories about how people get mugged walking home at 3 AM by themselves. Really?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Sometimes I wonder why there are so many threads on safety. Not to say that that shouldn't be a concern, but it seems like there's been a "safety" thread on every neighborhood in the entire city, particularly Adams Morgan. Is the OP from a suburb or from a small town? I'm just curious.

It's always funny to see posts that say things like "Oh, the neighborhood near Howard is terrible!" or "12th and T! No way!!" Do these people expect to live in a city and never EVER have a mugging or a car break-in occur? Some of the characterizations of DC's neighborhoods border on the sensational.
Most people do not want to be mugged, especially if there is a gun involved, or if it involves being hit over the head with an object (I know someone this happened too, and not 20 years ago either!). It's no longer the norm to face muggings in most parts of other super expensive areas Manhattan or San Fran these days, but you seem to think DC residents should just accept it as one of the quirks of urban living? If I was paying $1200/month to rent in DC it's not something I would want to put up with at all.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
It's no longer the norm to face muggings in most parts of other super expensive areas Manhattan or San Fran these days, but you seem to think DC residents should just accept it as one of the quirks of urban living?
The point, OrlandoRE_Miracle, is that it's not the norm to face muggings in most "super expensive" parts of DC, either. Not one poster has ever insenuated that people should simply "accept" being mugged--that's something you've conjured up in order to maintain this ignorant paranoia about DC being a vast and lawless place, where roving gangs of bandits await the passing of unsuspecting condo dwellers. This point has been made to you, and supported with verifiable evidence, many, many times. But your mindset of DC is stuck a good 10-15 years in the past, because you do not live here and have not for some time.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
The point, OrlandoRE_Miracle, is that it's not the norm to face muggings in most "super expensive" parts of DC, either. Not one poster has ever insenuated that people should simply "accept" being mugged--that's something you've conjured up in order to maintain this ignorant paranoia about DC being a vast and lawless place, where roving gangs of bandits await the passing of unsuspecting condo dwellers. This point has been made to you, and supported with verifiable evidence, many, many times. But your mindset of DC is stuck a good 10-15 years in the past, because you do not live here and have not for some time.
14th I don't think you even read the post I was replying to. The point is, muggings are still occurring in hyped, over-priced areas like C. Heights, now, in 2010. If so many posters have to ask "is it safe", then that means it's not that safe. There is a reason they're asking that question.

And since you keep asking, I changed my user handle to honor those who've exhausted there 99 weeks of unemployment benefits and are now being crushed by the oligarchy. That's what the "99" in stars99 stands for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC