Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 PM

144 posts, read 698,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm surprised at the fare, though. I would have thought it would be a flat $30 from BWI to downtown DC. It is customary to tip the van driver. Maybe $5-7 if he just drives for you. $10-15 if you have bags. I came back from Dulles last week which is $35, and went the $15 route since the driver took the bags not just out of the van, but all the way to the front door for me. That was nice after a long day.
Actually, I should've said that the rates reflected the cost of a roundtrip. According to Super Shuttle, the fee from BWI to DC is around $32 plus $10 for another person. By the way, in your experience are these Shuttles normally on time? I really couldn't care less about the time going to DC from BWI, but getting back to the airport would be another issue.

On the other hand, maybe I can bribe some of my friends to drop us off at the airport. I've got a few working at the patent office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 11:03 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
Another option is taking the MARC train (Maryland Commuter train) straight into DC from BWI for $6 each way. This will drop you off at Union Station and then from Union Station, you can take the Red Line straight to Dupont Circle, which will run something like $2. The trains don't run frequently at certain times so it's best to check the schedule beforehand to see if the schedule will match up with your arrival and departure times.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/ (broken link)

Old 04-03-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Another option is taking the MARC train (Maryland Commuter train) straight into DC from BWI for $6 each way. This will drop you off at Union Station and then from Union Station, you can take the Red Line straight to Dupont Circle, which will run something like $2. The trains don't run frequently at certain times so it's best to check the schedule beforehand to see if the schedule will match up with your arrival and departure times.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/ (broken link)
Thanks! I'm now contemplating about taking the train to go to DC and just using the shuttle service when I return on the weekend. The train might pose as an interesting ride since I've never been on one before.

Are the trains pretty crowded and is it almost always guaranteed that they'll have some space for us? I'm going to be hauling one big luggage (32'W x 40'L x 15'H inches), so I'd like to avoid being an inconvenience to other passengers.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
From BWI to DC, you'd be on the MARC Penn Line. Afternoon service is about every hour near the top of the hour. It's about a 35-minute ride, and if you've never been on a train before, it would be a fine idea to try it out. These are commuter trains, of course, not really like the ones Humphrey Bogart used to ride on, but it's still a ride on the rails. Southbound trains should not be crowded at those hours. No one will find your luggage to be an incovenience...

Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Thanks, saganista!

It looks like we're going to be heavily relying on the trains during our visit. I'm going to order some daily fare pass online tomorrow.

Also, I'm plotting out my itinerary using AAA's TripKit. Here's what I have so far:

1. White House, Washington District of Columbia
2. Washington Mon, Washington District of Columbia
3. United Sts Holocaust Mem Museum, Washington District of Columbia
4. Smithsonian Institution, Washington District of Columbia
5. Intl Spy Museum, Washington District of Columbia
6. Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington District of Columbia
7. United Sts Capitol, Washington District of Columbia

Would it be feasible to cover these spots in one day? On the map, it seems like they are just a short walk from each other, but then again, I don't know the area.

It also mentions that I can do a self-guided White House tour, but I have to get it requested by my state senator or representative. I guess it would not hurt sending them a short email request.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qacer View Post
It looks like we're going to be heavily relying on the trains during our visit. I'm going to order some daily fare pass online tomorrow.
Farepasses are a great deal. They let you move from one general area of town to another all day long for cheap. Hard to beat. You'll still have to do some walking around to and from the Metro stops, but fior inter-area travel, they are the way to go.

Quote:
Would it be feasible to cover these spots in one day? On the map, it seems like they are just a short walk from each other, but then again, I don't know the area.
They all are a short walk (10-15 minutes) from each other, but I'd think that trying to do seven things in a day is pretty ambitious. There will be lines to wait in at some spots, and you'll need to eat, take some rest breaks, etc. My usual advice to people is to figure that three things are apt to make a full day, but it depends, particularly with the museums, on how long you want to linger over the exhibits. Also, you'll be on your own with no kiddies or other associates to slow you down, so you might do better than most.

Quote:
It also mentions that I can do a self-guided White House tour, but I have to get it requested by my state senator or representative. I guess it would not hurt sending them a short email request.
Yes, try to get the White House tickets lined up through your Sen. or Rep. as soon as possible. Demand for them is high, and the number of them is limited. The tour itself isn't all that long or impressive, but it is well worth doing. Ask them also about the Capitol tour. You can't just walk in there anymore either, and there is on-going construction on the east side that you may need directions through or around.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 AM

Thank you again! You are very helpful. :-)

I did not take into account the lines at these places, so I guess I'll split the list into two and just visit the other sites the next day.

I know the security has been bumped up in many of these places. With such restrictions, some of these places (like the White House) will not allow camera, backpacks, or handbags. Like the White House, they don't seem to have any storage available. What's the work around for this? Do they have any private storage shops near these places?

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you again! You are very helpful. :-) I did not take into account the lines at these places, so I guess I'll split the list into two and just visit the other sites the next day.
Well, you could just start at the top on Day-1 and see how far you get. But do as much research as you can about each place up front so you don't get surprised by anything that would whack your plans.

Quote:
I know the security has been bumped up in many of these places. With such restrictions, some of these places (like the White House) will not allow camera, backpacks, or handbags. Like the White House, they don't seem to have any storage available. What's the work around for this? Do they have any private storage shops near these places? Thanks!
Yes, the security situation vis-a-vis say six years ago is like night and day. To what actual end, I'm not so sure. Some of the charm and character of the area has been lost in all this. There are not, to my knowledge, any areas around the White House where you could briefly store personal items. The folks at the White House Visitor Center (202-456-1414 will get you an actual person) might have a better idea, but they might not either. You might have to 'travel light' for the WH tour, then pop back to the hotel to pick up your gear for the rest of the day...

Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 PM

569 posts, read 1,228,933 times
Quote:
1. White House, Washington District of Columbia
2. Washington Mon, Washington District of Columbia
3. United Sts Holocaust Mem Museum, Washington District of Columbia
4. Smithsonian Institution, Washington District of Columbia
5. Intl Spy Museum, Washington District of Columbia
6. Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington District of Columbia
7. United Sts Capitol, Washington District of Columbia

There is absolutely no way to see these in one day. It is approx. 1 1/2 miles between the U.S. Capitol and the Washington Monument. The White House is a few blocks north of the Monument. The Smithsonian Museums (11 museums) are located between the Capitol and the Monument along the National Mall.

I would also recommend visiting the Memorials, Lincoln, Vietnam Veterans, Korea, WW II, FDR and Arlington Cemetery. Most of the memorials are located close to each other on the west end of the Mall. Arlington Cemetery is located in Virginia across the Potomac River from the Lincoln Memorial.

Here are the websites to the places you would like to visit. They have information on obtaining tickets, etc. for those building that require them. You may be able to get some in advance.

You probably will not be able to visit the Capitol and the White House the same day because of ticketing logistics. You should plan for each in the morning of two days. You should also do this for the Holocaust and Spy museums in the afternoon. This way you can spend the remainder of each day visiting the sites that do not require tickets: Smithsonian, memorials, etc.

1. The White House - is located a few blocks north of the Monument. Free

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/tours/

2. The Washington Monument - free

http://www.nps.gov/archive/wamo/home.htm

3. The Holocaust Museum - it's located across the street from the S.E. corner of the Monument grounds. Fee required. It is also next to the Bureau and Engraving building, you can see money being printed.

http://www.ushmm.org/visit/

4. The Smithsonian Institue - buildings include, Air & Space, Natural History, American History (closed for renovation), Native American (newest), numerous art galleries and The Castle (original museum). They are located along the National Mall between 3rd St and 14th Street. Free except for some extras like IMAX movies, etc.

http://www.si.edu/

5. International Spy Museum - fee required

http://www.spymuseum.org/index.asp (broken link)

6. Smithsonian American Art Museum - free, this link is for the National Gallery of Art. There two (2) buildings, NGA East and NGA West. They are located on the mall near the Capitol.

http://www.nga.gov/

7. United States Capitol - free

http://www.house.gov/house/tour_services.shtml (broken link)

This link is for the National Mall

http://www.nps.gov/nama/

Enjoy your visit to our Nation's Capital. It is a trip that you should really enjoy.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:20 PM

Thanks again for the reply everyone! By the way, what does the temperature in DC feel like? I'm seeing high in the 70s on the weather forecasts. To me that doesn't really translate to sweater weather. Am I right? Or should I leave my shorts home and take long pants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: