Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 PM

23 posts, read 72,593 times

Advertisements

Hi There =)
I come from a very small town and I am thinking about moving to DC to start my career. The jobs in my area just barely pay me enough to live and they are not in the field that I want to get into-Marketing/Advertising. So I am thinking about making the move to DC.

I have done some looking around online and the prices of an apartment is enough to kill you, but I really like living alone. Am I crazy for not wanting to get a roommate?

Can anyone recommend some areas that are nice, safe, and low-cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
You're certainly not crazy for not WANTING to get a roommate. Many people don't want to, but it's more a necessity as they lack the income to be able to afford to live by themselves. It all depends on what your priorities are and if you're prepared to spend a very large percentage of your take-home pay on rent for the joy of having your own place, or having more disposable income each month, but having to share a place. Generally, one bedroom apartments in the D.C. area start at around $1000/month. There's a handful of apartments for around $900 or so but anything lower than $800 is generally in bad condition, located extremely far from D.C. or in a really bad neighborhood. Now if you were to rent out a room in someone's home, utilities included (and sometimes furnished), you can find places in decent neighborhoods for as little as $550/month. Obviously, these generally aren't in Georgetown, Adams-Morgan or Dupont Circle (the "hip" neighborhoods of D.C.) but in places decent homes in close-in suburbs. Personally, I'd recommend renting out a room, having a month-by-month lease upon initially moving into the area, just to give you a taste of things here and to explore a bit in person and see then what areas you might be more interested in living in permanently if you choose to stay in the D.C. area. I always recommend Arlington for people moving into the area who want easy access to D.C. but want to avoid many of the problems that D.C. has (notably crime). The areas along the Orange Line Metro are generally the most popular neighborhoods (Clarendon, Court House, Ballston, etc.) and as such, rents will be higher than they will be further out in the suburbs, but you can find good deals here and there, especially if you first rent out a room in someone's home in the neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:37 PM

25 posts, read 203,577 times
Kara, first of all, welcome (in advance) to an exciting, crazy, frustrating, wonderful, and beautiful area of our country. There is no other place like it in the world.

Don't overlook Washington! It is expensive, and there are areas that are bad, but the vast majority of the city (including many majority black neighborhoods) is very nice and safe. If I were a young person looking to get started, I would not consider living anywhere except the city proper, or maybe Arlington, VA or Silver Spring or Takoma Park, MD.

The city is amazing! The architecture, particularly in the Federal sector and places like Georgetown, is absolutely wonderful. There are TREES - far more than you'll find in most neighborhoods outside the Beltway. Rock Creek Park, which bisects the city, is one of the largest urban parks in the world. Overall, while it is expensive, the quality of the housing stock in town is high. The nightlife - well, it's not New York, but there are world-class restaurants, clubs and bars, and lots more cultural activities than you'd find in many comparably sized cities, largely due to the presence of the Smithsonian Institution and so many major universities. There's rowing, canoeing or sailing on the river right in town. Fifteen minutes from downtown (traffic permitting) is Great Falls, and Mather Gorge - home to world class whitewater kayaking and excellent rock climbing. A 45 minutes drive, and you're on the Chesapeake Bay or hiking the mountains of Shenandoah National Park. 2-1/2 hours (traffic permitting - you see a pattern?) to the ocean beaches.

If you move to a location that is walking distance from the Metro, you'll be well ahead of the game. Traffic IS terrible. You can ride your bike, or join ZipCar or FlexCar (very convenient car sharing programs) when you need more flexibility. If you're still young enough not to be set in your ways, or maybe even if you aren't, move to a group house - you'll have high quality housing for a fraction of the cost of living alone.

Safety - well, there are a few neighborhoods where you just shouldn't go. Why would you? If you know someone that lives there, invite them to your place and give them a break!

I'm a sixth-generation Washingtonian. (I live in Virginia now because my husband already owned this house when we married, but I get into town several times a week.) As such, I know a lot about this town. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 AM

20 posts, read 79,580 times
I Don't Think Your Crazy Because I'm Kind Of Going Through The Same Thing And Can't Wait To Move, I Just Hope I Have Enough To Live My Son And I.

I Wish You The Best, Girl

Old 04-02-2007, 08:35 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,807 times
Carlaclaws, you are very lucky to live in DC. I agree, DC is the best place in the world. We make a pilgrimage at least once a year from our native Mississippi. My husband and I would live to live there, but it's just too expensive. I would love to live right in the middle of the city... downtown or on the waterfront in Georgetown. I am so glad to have you as a resource. I have questions all the time about DC. We visited last spring and got to see the panda Tai Shan. How cute! We love the restaurants in Georgetown and just being in the city. There's no place like DC in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC