Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 32,913 times

Advertisements

A little about me: I'm getting an entry-level job in the District, just graduated college in Decemeber. The organziation I will be working for will pay my Metro/transportation costs, and I will be recieving an annual salary of $32,500 a year. I have no other expenses. I have no loans, car payments, etc, and I live fairly cheaply. I really want to live in DC.

Can I get a small efficiency/apartment for $1000 a year in DC? Will I qualify based on my income? I don't want roommates. Is this unheard of, with the salary I will be making?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:50 PM

273 posts, read 1,483,397 times
If you have no other bills, it may be possible. But you may have to consider a roommate situation.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:57 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
$1000 a year? Maybe in Bangladesh. I'm sure you mean $1000 a month. If so, It sounds like a roommate as stated above or a small basement perhaps with a private entrance. There could be small apartments for a grand a month but most likely located in a rough area of DC.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Give this place a try...

400 M Street

It's a brand new apartment/condo building right across the street from where I work at USDOT. The southeast/waterfront DC area is up and coming..lots of new apartments springing up that may (or may not) be in your range. Check out Capitol Riverfront Business Improvement District | Washington DC Riverfront Development

If you have no other bills/loans, I think its conceivable for you to find a place on your own. You can without a doubt find a basement apartment in a new townhouse somewhere.

Go to PaycheckCity.com | Web-Based Paycheck Calculators and you can get a rough estimate of your take-home pay. That will help you determine your budget.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Do you have a car? You'd have better luck getting an apartment for that price in the suburbs, especially along a bus line (I think Foxchase in Alexandria has small 1-bedrooms priced in that range). It's a nice place to live, but can be a hassle without a car (however, the Foxchase complex is right by a shopping center with a grocery store, Chipotle, Chinese food, pizza, and a drug store).

Otherwise, I'd say that living in DC on that salary is entirely possible....but you need a roommate or two. A lot of people with that sort of budget rent rooms in group houses, as well. It may not sound appealing, but it can be a good way to meet a group of people right from the start.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:04 AM

931 posts, read 3,803,215 times
It will be tough.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 AM

I also forgot to mention, AeroGuy made a good recommendation. In the past few years that area was essentially gutted and rebuilt, and they just put the finishing touches on some of the buildings last year. For the money, it's a good, relatively safe, location. It's also an easy walk to Barracks Row/Capitol Hill from there, where there's a bunch of bars and restaurants.

I didn't realize that 400 M was so inexpensive, but that's great (most of the other 1-bedrooms I've seen in the SE/SW Waterfront area are ~$1200/month).

Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I didn't realize that 400 M was so inexpensive, but that's great (most of the other 1-bedrooms I've seen in the SE/SW Waterfront area are ~$1200/month).
Me neither. I was looking at places around there and couldn't really find anything affordable. I'm not sure I even saw many studios for that cheap.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Me neither. I was looking at places around there and couldn't really find anything affordable. I'm not sure I even saw many studios for that cheap.
I'm not sure, but I think 400 M was just finished. I also get it confused with the condos near 400 M Street SW, so maybe that was it. Still, a good price for the location!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 PM

5 posts, read 32,913 times
Actually, I found a nice studio efficiency apartment in Adams Morgan for $865 a month, ALL utilities included, and since I will be taking home a salary of roughly $24,000 annually after federal and city taxes, that means I have about $2000 a month in disposable income. (my salary is actually going to be $32,500 a year).

That is more than enough for me to live on. I am single. My company is paying my Metro costs, my medical/dental/vision insurance is already taken care of, and since I have no other bills, loans, insurance, or payments of any kind, I think I'll manage quite nicely. I have an extensive wardrobe, don't need work clothes. I spend about $300 a month on groceries, which means I have about $800 left over a month for "miscellaneous expenses" like toiletries and going out.

Can I live in DC making only $32,500 a year? By my calculations, I most certainly can! Unless I'm missing something. Can someone come up with any errors in my calculations or point out a flaw in my reasoning? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: