Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 10,227 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are a mixed race couple (European/Caribbean), relocating to DC. We understand that DC is quite segregated, but we would like to find a mixed race area, suitable for a thirty-something couple starting a family! We need to find a reasonably priced apartment, which must be within walking distance of the metro, as my wife will be commuting to Alexandria, VA. We'd be very grateful for any suggestions on suitable areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 01:26 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
DC is actually far less segregated than it's reputation would have you think, and in general, very tolerant of interracial relationships. I think being mixed race is the least of your issues. I think "reasonably priced" and "within walking distance to Metro" are the two biggest issues. Firstly, what would you consider to be reasonably priced? Within walking distance to Metro, I would say you'd be hard-pressed to find a one-bedroom apartment for under $1300/month, and I'm sure if you're interested in starting a family, you'd want larger than a one-bedroom, but that should give you some idea as to the pricing in the areas around Metro stations. Most of the areas around Metro stations in the area tend to be built up with higher-end condos and apartments and a few luxury townhouses, meaning that it's generally far more expensive to live near a Metro station than a slightly more inconvenient location a few miles away from one, for obvious reasons of course (desirability).

If interested in starting a family and looking to stay in the DC area up to a point where schools become an issue, I'd recommend sticking to the suburbs as opposed to DC itself where the public schools are generally abysmal and many people have to factor in the cost of private school tuition into their yearly already-tight budgets. I would recommend looking at places in Arlington, either on the Orange Line or the Blue Line (Crystal City, Pentagon City) as well as Alexandria. Arlington has better schools but apartments are generally more expensive. I have a friend who lives in a nice studio apartment in a building in Crystal City, within walking distance to Metro and shopping (10 minute walk to Pentagon City Mall) where I believe two bedrooms apartments are going for $1800/month. I'm not sure if that's reasonable or not, but generally in these areas, you can expect to pay at least $1600/month for a two-bedroom. In any of these areas, in Arlington and Alexandria, being an interracial couple will not be an issue. Of course, there's your random jerk who stares or makes a comment that you could find in any place, but in terms of the general culture, the area is very diverse and interracial couples are very well-accepted and a common sight.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 AM

Thank you very much for all this information. Your taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:37 PM

18 posts, read 115,750 times
Once again I find myself agreeing with dullnboring. I wouldn't think twice about being a interracial couple and living in DC, Arlington, Alexandria or anywhere in the immediate DC area. It's more common that you would think, if you think of this area as the "old South" I have at least 5 friends that are in interracial relationships and I really had to think about it- because its not something most people around here measure. I think more people wonder if your blue or red rather than black or white.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:21 PM

Marymadog, thank you for your reply to my query. It's always helpful to have more than one opinion!

Old 04-12-2007, 07:57 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
This area is great for interracial couples. You won't have any problems. Howard County would be your best bet if its still a big issue. Tons of interracial families like you would never believe...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC