U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,536 times

Advertisements

I have visited the school and loved the university, however, I could not see myself living in the neighborhood surrounding the university as a single woman. If anyone could direct me on a safe area to live and where I should look for an apartment that would be great ...Also is $1600 really the average price for a 1 bedroom in the NW area. Any advice, suggestions, or tips would help.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM

3,277 posts, read 10,396,259 times
You could try living west along U Street. I know single women who live there. As you get closer to 18th it blends into Adams Morgan, and then Dupont Circle is further south along Connecticut or New Hampshire Avenue. South of U Street around 13th & 14th gets into the Logan Circle area, which is nice as well. You could try the Mt. Pleasant area, as well. These are all fairly walkable to Howard.

As for price, $1600 for a 1-bedroom sounds about right. You might be able to find a deal, but since the U Street/Dupont/Adams Morgan/Logan Circle area is pretty desirable the prices are high. You can often find a studio for about $1300, though. Your best bet is to try and get a roommate or rent a room in a house.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,243,480 times
Do you desire to live in the relatively immediate area of Howard U? If not, the Metro Rail has a Howard U stop, pretty much ensuring that you can live nearly anywhere in the DC area (city or burbs) and have direct access to the University without having to drive to school, or even pay $1600 for a one bedroom.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM

3,425 posts, read 7,964,409 times
If you commute to Howard via the Metro, I'd recommend using the U Street/Cardozo station rather than the Shaw/Howard University station, especially at night. The latter station is located in a rough neighborhood and there is some very sketchy development between it and the Howard University campus. The former station really isn't that much farther from the university either.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Thanks so much for all the great responses and advice. Would you all suggest I start looking for places on Craigslist or is there another great website for DC apartments??? Also what about having a car in DC??? I know there is a metrorail but would you suggest bringing a car???

Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 AM

Thanks so for the advice about U Street Cardoza Station... I used the Shaw/Howard U last time at night and it was def sketchy...

Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,243,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute T View Post
Thanks so much for all the great responses and advice. Would you all suggest I start looking for places on Craigslist or is there another great website for DC apartments??? Also what about having a car in DC??? I know there is a metrorail but would you suggest bringing a car???
I have had great success with Craigslist every time I have ever moved in the past few years.

I believe having a car or not is a function of your lifestyle and your location. If you live in DC proper, the MetroBus and Metro Rail will generally get you to where you need to go. In general, a car is not absolutely necessary if you live inside of DC. If you live in the suburbs, then i'd highly recommend a car.

I personally am biased towards having a car because my lifestyle dictates that I get away from the city to enjoy the outdoors and to take random road-trips. In that respect, I personally can't imagine not having the freedom to roam as I want to, but again, that's just me.

There is a company called ZipCar that provides daily car rental for those that need an occasional car. I don't know much about the company, but that could be something for you to look into as well. I hear it's pretty popular.

Good Luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:29 PM

3,277 posts, read 10,396,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute T View Post
I've also had a lot of luck with CraigsList. You could also try Long & Foster, it's a realty company in the area that advertises condos rented by the owner. As for having a car, if you live in the District you won't really need a car (with an exception of perhaps NW DC near American University). I brought mine anyway, since it's paid off, and some neighborhoods are easier than others to park. That said, I use my car about once or twice a week, and that's purely because I'm lazy and like to drive to the grocery store.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 AM

220 posts, read 811,233 times
Ledroit Park/Bloomingdale isn't particularly sketchy - many single women live there without incident. But if you don't feel comfortable there, then by all means look farther west (or perhaps Brookland?)

Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 PM

569 posts, read 2,242,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
Ledroit Park/Bloomingdale isn't particularly sketchy - many single women live there without incident. But if you don't feel comfortable there, then by all means look farther west (or perhaps Brookland?)
Would Brookland be a cheaper neighborhood than say Ledroit Park, Columbia Heights, or Shaw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC